networking....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingdong-man

Baseband Member
I use ADSL and share with my brother via router.... once we register for the free forum at invisionfree.com and they asked for the IP address.... since i know that IP from the provider everytime i connect to the internet is dynamic, but why when we checked out our IP, both our IP is the same......

and usually we misunderstand about the IP address, subnet mask and also Default Gateway. then we thought the IP every connection is known as IP address, am i right? is that any thing like IP address that is unique to each machine??

thnx for help.....

When you register for the forum it is most likely pulling your IP address from the router, so yes your IP and your brothers IP will be identical since it is using the routers IP address and not the local IP from each of your machines.

Your router has what is a called a WAN/External IP address which is given to it by your ISP. Your router then via DHCP is handing out what is called a LAN/Internal IP address to each computer on your network.

So if you actually look at the IP address of your machine and your brothers machine they will be differnt something like 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3. The only people who will ever see these address's are local people on your local network and the only IP address external people will see is your routers external IP address.

If the admins on this forum checked your IP address and your brothers they would see the same one (your routers) something like 66.88.44.22.66. I could go on all day about IP addressing, and subnetting etc etc..but this should answer your question good enough :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom