network set up using DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

funknuts

Baseband Member
Hello I'm getting dsl in a few days and am wondering if someone can tell me how to to set up the physical part of the network (for example what connects to what and would i use a crossover cable or patch. I have a 3 computer network plus 2 playstation 2 systems i want to connect. im getting the dsl modem and also getting a free router for signing up which i also want to use. I do have a 4 port hub. my first question is can the router be used a switch so i can get rid of using my hub? second do i need to connect the main computer to the modem using a crossover cable or patch. And do i need to connect the other 2 comps and the ps2's using a patch cable? if there is anything please let me know. thanks

If the router you get from your ISP has a built in Switch then you can use it as such. If it only has a single port, then you will need to keep the hub, or get a switch. I would say get a switch, but that is for you to decide.
Then the rest is all Patch Cable to the systems. The only time you need crossover is if you are doing a direct link between systems or if you are linking hubs together that don't have uplink ports. All of your systems can connec to the switch or router but you will need to make sure that the router doesn't block the ports used by the PS2's...
You will have to configure the PPOE settings on the router for the DSL connection as well. DSL uses a login and password so that has to be configured in the router for the connection to work properly. Unless they have changed the way that works recently that is. I use cable so only get to mess with DSL every so often...
Good luck.

Basically what he just said, and I just want to throw in another vote for switch... must more efficient for traffic control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom