Network Printer Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithryndil

In Runtime
I have a home network and I tried to print something with another computer on the printer currently connected to this computer. I tried to print on both sides, however that option isn't even available on the other computer, however, the option is available on this computer that I am on now. The type of printer I have is an HP Deskjet F340 All-in One Printer. If you need more information let me know. Thanks for your help.

I've always networked printers together by the standard I use at work with certain computer labs...

At work, we use domains... but in a home setting, workgroups will suffice perfectly. Make sure both computers (I'm assuming XP?) are in the same workgroup. On the computer WITH the printer, go to start - printers and faxes and right click on the printer and share it. Afterwards, on the computer that isn't connected to the printer, go to my network places. Then, on the left side, go to entire network, windows network, etc... until you find the available shares on the network. The printer should be listed. Right click on it, connect, etc. You may need to install the driver, however, in my experience I haven't had to do that (yet).

I tried to print on both sides, however that option isn't even available on the other computer, however, the option is available on this computer that I am on now.

Both sides of the paper? Duplexing? Does the F340 have duplex support? I know that the F380 doesn't for sure.. I have one sitting right here. I don't think that the F340 can. You can turn duplexing on for a printer sometimes in the printing options. It's something along the line of a check box that states whether or not a duplexing unit is installed in the printer. If you check it off, then that option becomes available in the printing options even though the printer doesn't support it. I've seen this option available for networked printers before without the support for it, kinda silly. I'm not even sure if this is what you are referring to or not. But, if you are, the F340 doesn't support it.

You may need to install the driver, however, in my experience I haven't had to do that (yet).

In older versions of Windows and older instances of networked printers, this was done due to fault tolerance. However, over the years and especially with a similar OS kernel, setting up a networked printer from a client should never ask for a driver, simply because the client should never have to "talk" to the printer. But for cross-kernels and especially completely different OS types, it should have to install it. For instance: Linux server sharing a printer -> Win2k client or even more common: Win2k server sharing a printer -> 95/98/ME client. Depends on the type of printer too. Most companies are also doing their due diligence to streamline their software drivers for cross-kernel sharing as well. HP, Xerox and Brother do a really good good job at minimizing driver installation(s).....I'll stop babbling .. I really got to get a hold on that... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom