Network Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanm

Beta member
I am trying to set up permissions to my computer so that only certain people, can access it, by me giving them a user name and password. Im tryen to set it up like in win 2000 that it asks you to log in so someone ealts computer. I know that i have to have simple file sharing off, and have to turn off the windows welcome screen. After that im not realy sure where to go, im running win xp pro

Your computer is on a network, domain or adhoc, and you want to allow access to certain users to certain shares on your xp machine?

Heres the general idea:

1) Using the Administrator account, build in your usernames using "users/passwords" in your control panel in classic view.
2) In users/passwords in your control panel you can specify what group those users belong. Different groups have different access/security rights.
3) In users/passwords click the advanced tab and check the box that says "Require users to press Ctl-Alt-Del to log on" (im looking at my 2000 machine right now but you get the idea XP aint much different in classic view).
4) You can keep files/folders under C:\ then right click them and go to security tab and add and modify what users can access that particular folder. You can add groups or you can add individual users.

If you wanna go crazy you can go into the MMC console and deny all sorts of wacky stuff to anyone and everyone.

Start -> Run -> "MMC" -> "console tab" -> "Add/Remove Snap in" -> "Add" -> "Group Policy" -> "Add" -> "Finish" -> "Close" -> "OK" -> now just poke around at all the options you can do under computer and user configurations :)

You can even build your computer like a kiosk in the mall so only one program is on the screen and able to run...

ok maybe i went a little off the deep end on this post.

Oh, well im tryen to do this so only certain people on the network can access it, not sure if you said that, and im am misinteperating this. Still doesnt seem to wanna work for me. I am just on a work group, no domain or anything ealts like that.

what my goal is is to share files on my workgroup, and allow certain people access and deny others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom