network firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may help to know which router you are using. Some allow the actual firewall to be turned off, and some don't. But you can always place your hosting computer in the DMZ which is beyond your local firewall.

The reason you can't host games is because an outside computer is trying to access your computer and your firewall doesn't like that.

The easiest way to fix that is to add that computer's ip address into your trusted computers section. (I haven't seen a firewall that doesn't have this option).

Other than that, you could figure out what port that game uses and open it up in your firewall.

DMZ host never works for me!!!!

I just redirect the port requests to the game server on my lan...

bla!! said:
The easiest way to fix that is to add that computer's ip address into your trusted computers section. (I haven't seen a firewall that doesn't have this option).

How is that easy? What if I play on Battle.net and 6-8 people randomly want to join my game?
The "easiest" way would be to either disable the firewall, DMZ or just plug right into the DSL or cable modem. Granted, I've never had a problem that wasn't resolved by just placing myself in the DMZ, but.......I guess some people have with certain games.

BTW, the netgear gateway/routers with NAT don't have outside trusted IP tables. You may be thinking about software firewalls.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom