Network is fine for one computer, nonexistent for the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiro

In Runtime
Argh. My network worked perfectly a couple of months ago. I don't use the secondary computer much, but now I can't access the internet or even the main computer from it. But I can access the secondary computer's files through my main one.

It may have to do with my new DSL modem... but I don't see why it would interfere with my secondary computer trying to access the files on my main comp, and I think the problem started before I got my new modem, anyway. (It's a 2wire modem, and I've got SBC Yahoo! DSL if it's any help).

Here's my setup:
Main comp - WinXP Home, directly hooked to the DSL modem, separate cable goes to a hub (I have two ethernet connectors)
Secondary comp - Win98SE, cable from hub to comp

I've done all the obvious things... made sure cables were secure, made sure my network card drivers were okay, I even ran both comps through Network Setup, using a new workgroup name (making sure they were identical), new computer descriptions (more accurate) and new names. The setup went off without a hitch, I got no error messages of any kind. But still, I can't access internet from the secondary computer, I see no computers in My Network Places on it, and it gives me a "Can not access network" message telling me to use Network Troubleshooter when I double-click Entire Network. BUT I can access files on the secondary comp's hard drive from the main computer. I even tried the "Network troubleshooter" but all it did was tell me to contact my Network Administrator (that's me, though...), and none of it's suggested solutions were whatsoever helpful.

I'm confused as to what the problem could be. Both my secondary comp and my little Win98 laptop have successfully networked to my main comp (XP) countless times, 2 or all 3 computers at once. Any help at all would be much appreciated, as this secondary computer would be extremely helpful if I could get internet/file sharing (and all the other network features) to work on it again.

NOTE: Using Find a Computer and entering main comp's name, from secondary comp, I am able to locate the main comp... but when I try to access it, I get an error: "\\[CompName] is not accesible. Not logged on"... I dunno if it means my secondary comp is not logged on or if my main comp is not logged on.

Either way, it makes no sense, because I can access the secondary comp from my main comp without any problems...

Why don't you try to connect the hub directly to the 2wire?
then connect both computers to the hub. The 2wire works as a modem/router. Your second computer could be going thru two lairs of NAT. Wont hurt to try.

So the setup you suggest, charles, would go as follows?:

Modem -> Hub ethernet connector #1
Main Comp -> Hub ethernet connector #2
Secondary Comp -> Hub ethernet connector #3

I think that's what you meant... Honestly I have no idea what NAT is... but it seems like what you said makes sense.

I'll see what I can do...

----EDIT!!!----
Thanks, charles! I got internet now on the 2nd comp.

I hooked the modem through the hub, and now I have working internet access on both computers (glee!!!)... but I still get nothing on the Network Neighborhood (2nd comp), and can't access my main comp from secondary comp via Find Computers. But the internet access is what I wanted more, as I can still move files from main to secondary (just from main comp only, though).

I'll have to leave the hub on all the time for this configuration...

If anybody's got ideas of how to further correct the situation, I'd greatly appreciate it.

try doing a search for the computer you can't see...right click network neighborhod and search for computers...type int the computer name....i've noticed sometimes computer's won't show up automatically and you have to search.

Have you updated to SP2 on your primary computer ??? The firewall on it may inhibit u from accessing its resources.!!!
Just a thought ! You also may have to allow for the guest account on the primary computer to active.

Yeah, it got updated to SP2 a while back... come to think of it, I don't think I had tried using the secondary computer since then. I had considered the firewall (I don't like SP2 >.<) at first, but after I got the internet working, I wasn't too sure. But that does make perfect sense. I'll check out how to allow for a guest account (any tips welcome, I'm not sure what to do!).

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom