network error

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i am getting a box when i woke my computer up this afternoon, saying "Windows has detected an I P address conflict" another computer on this network has the same i p address as this computer. contact your network administrator for help resolving this issue. more details are available in the windows system event log. i have seen this before, but i had more pressing issues at that time.

so, i guess i am the network administrator, since its my computer that started all of this. but i have no clue what this means, or even if i have a real "network". my computer and my sons are connected to the same wi fi router, but we have never made an effort to try to talk to each other via computer. or even if it is possible thru these lines. i also do not know if it would be talking about his and mine, or my laptop and this, or ???. there are actually 6 computers in the house. 3 desktops and 3 laptops. with 4 different operating systems. 2) windows 10, 1) windows 7 home, 1 windows 7 professional, and 1) windows vista. the funny thing is this is the only computer this happens to. and i do not know if this is important enough to worry about, or if i should just ignore it, and just close the box when it happens.

Not really a big deal - just means the router gave out the same IP twice for some reason - funny things happen with DHCP at times.

If you can't get the message to go away, open up a command prompt on the system with the message and run:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Or reboot the router by unplugging the power for ~30 seconds, and then plugging it back in.

Back
Top Bottom