Network is Dropping Devices connected to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobia6464

Beta member
Namely my Computer (the one I am currently on) and my PS3. Here is the setup for both:

Windows XP (Yes, it's ancient) has some sort of Netgear USB drive that detects a network (or something like that) and that is connected to my Linksys router, which is connected to a computer in my Dad's room and an Arris Modem with Time Warner Cable as the provider. In order to repair the connection after it drops me (usually it doesn't say it drops me, but my internet won't open or display any pages) I right click the icon at the bottom right and click repair. That will do it until the next time it messes up, which is usually about a half hour or an hour or so. Already Power Cycled everything and I have tried resetting the router numerous times. Anything else you wish to know advise me of what you wish to know and how I can go about obtaining the desired information.

The PS3 is connected wirelessly and has flawless online while I am signed on. Randomly though, it will sign me out of the PSN (Playstation Network) and I will have to sign back in. This prevents me from doing serious online matches, as I will get booted out the moment I get signed out of the PSN. I am assuming it has to do with the network connection in general, because my computer disconnects usually at the same time.

Any insight on this matter would be appreciated. I love learning new things about computer, as one day I wish to be a tech guru of some sorts, so feel free to teach me other things as well :)

Start off by determining if your Dad computer has access to the Internet when it goes off for you, because you want to isolate the problem from the ISP and wireless connection. If you can still get online using a wired connected to the router you know the line/modem is good. If you can't, try to bypass the router and connect directly to the modem, you'll have to sometime reboot the modem in order for it to work.

Now wireless has a lot of issue, if you are gaming consider using a wired connection if you get a lot of interference or speed is a factor when it comes to distant with wireless.

Some tips for troubleshooting wireless, change your channel. Default is usually 6, this cause issue with other wireless router in the area if they happen to be Linksys or using channel 6. You can try channel 1 or 11. You won't know unless you install a wireless finder like net stumbler or Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.

Link: Xirrus: High Performance Wireless Networks - Advanced IT Wi-Fi Networking Tools

Use mix mode (802.11b/g/n), and WPA/WPA2 for backward compatibility with older cards.

Remember that the wireless router can transmit a longer distance but your card might not, just because you get a strong signal does not mean your card can transmit at the same distance.

Update your wireless driver, go over the manufacturer web site to download the most recent for your operating system.

Interference is everywhere, Bluetooth devices, microwave, cordless phone, baby monitor, Wi-Fi camera all operate on the same frequency and can cause problem. You can buy a dual band router, these router operate in the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz where there is very little competition for bandwidth. You'll need to buy a compatible card, so do some research on the product.

Just a little more info about the Wi-Fi tool. The Xirrus helps you detect other wireless network in your area, it display their channel and a lot of information like signal strength. It even has a network diagnostic tool for you to use. It's easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom