Network Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICS

In Runtime
I need a little help. Here is my situation.

I have dual LAN, and I want to connect to a router (nVidia) and then the other to the LAN hub(Realtek Gig). Then I want to share the internet with all the people on the hub. I can figure out how to have 2 different ips so...

any help would be appriciated

*note* the router is not big enough for a lan.

I must have missed something, when did Nvidia go into networking?

anyway, back to the topic at hand...

The router is only needed for routing traffic. it's common for them to be used in place of a switch cause for most people 4 ports is enough. In your case, you will be best to drop the HUB, and get a Switch, cause that will help traffic flow better. If you run a cat5 cable from the router to the hub you can directly attach to the router, and if the router has DHCP, even assign addresses to all the workstations. The only thing to know about attaching from the router to the hub, is if your hub doesn't have a bridge port or a uplink port, you will need a crossover cable.
That aside, I'm confused on the "2 different isp's" thing. If the 2 networks can be interconnected, then do it and only use 1 isp. No sense in paying for the service twice, espcially when you can't use both on the same network, and if they can be connected (the 2 networks) just up the speed on the 1 ISP.

I believe the original poster is saying IPs, not ISPs :) Anyway. What do you mean with DUAL LAN? When you say that your Router is not big enough for your LAN, then I suppose you mean to say that it does not have enough ports. Right?

What is your current connection type to the Internet? Cable/xDSL? Is this already routed? In other words, is there already a box between you and your Internet Access Provider? To give you a simple example:

IAP----your-modem/router----hub----your-PCs

If this illustrates your desired setup, then nothing would be more simpler and there are numerous examples on the Internet. Go and have a look...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom