Network Administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

gloomer

In Runtime
I've just set up a network between my windows xp and a windows 98.

I want to learn more about being a network Admin.

I've googled a lot and found lots of tutorials but most don't work, are outdated, etc...

If you guys have any links to some recent articles that would great.

Now a network Admin needs software for running the network.

I'd like to know some good suggestions for the following.

#1: A program that can control the entire network with commands. Like command all the computers to install AVG Free, or turn off windows firewall. Because if there were 20 computers on the network. It would be **** to do everything by hand.

#2: Let's say I'm a network admin at a school. I gotta keep my eye on all these punks. How could I monitor everything they are doing? I know that sounds weird but they do it in every school.

#3: I don't know if this exists or not, but is there a program that controls the "leakage" of a wireless router. I know that sounds advanced, using software to control the radio waves but I"m sure it's not impossible. That one piece of software would put an end to wardriving permanentley.

Thanks for taking the time to read throught this.

All the best.

What you are desribing would best be done with a flavor of Windows Server 2000 or 2003. After all, what you are describing is a client/server network and XP is for desktops and does not have server functionality in it, or at least the functions that you want to implement.

A great site for learning Windows admin is www.labmice.net
Lots of good admin stuff.

gloomer said:
#3: I don't know if this exists or not, but is there a program that controls the "leakage" of a wireless router. I know that sounds advanced, using software to control the radio waves but I"m sure it's not impossible. That one piece of software would put an end to wardriving permanentley.

Some routers will allow you to control the signal strength. With unlimited resources you could "Wi-Fi Proof" your house by shielding signals from passing through the walls. It is in NO way a practical solution as everything is blocked then. Including signals you may want.

The easy answer is there is no way to end wardriving permanently. Use MAC filtering and WPA or WEP and you'll keep out a majority of wardrivers. Any security can be broken. Its only a question of if someone really wants to break it.

Read some articles on how to secure your wireless and you will be fine.

gloomer said:
I've just set up a network between my windows xp and a windows 98.

I want to learn more about being a network Admin.

I've googled a lot and found lots of tutorials but most don't work, are outdated, etc...

If you guys have any links to some recent articles that would great.

Now a network Admin needs software for running the network.

I'd like to know some good suggestions for the following.

#1: A program that can control the entire network with commands. Like command all the computers to install AVG Free, or turn off windows firewall. Because if there were 20 computers on the network. It would be **** to do everything by hand.

#2: Let's say I'm a network admin at a school. I gotta keep my eye on all these punks. How could I monitor everything they are doing? I know that sounds weird but they do it in every school.

Thanks for taking the time to read throught this.

All the best.

#1 A domain environment, M$ WSUS for deploying updates or using remote desktop, radmin, VNC.

#2 Same as above, and use your network equipment (router, proxy server). Logging software like key loggers, proxy server to filter and log visited URL. Domain environment for centralize administration to control every workstation and apply security policies.

#3 No, to prevent wireless leakage, design your building to do so. Try putting the wireless AP in the center.

to monitor all of the "punks" you may want to try using securus (it has a free trial to schools, I have used it very good) but for lerning WinVNC is a cool app, (www.realvnc.com)

Just a quick note on the monitoring, if you do plan to monitor others you must be aware that they must be notified of this.
Employeers usually "hide" that legal mumbo-jumbo in an agreement employees (or students) must sign to use their computers.

It is however invasion of privacy if any user has their own account on the computer (even if you are the owner of the computer) and you are using such software to monitor their activities.

Working as a network admin I can tell you there is usually never a need for it, monitor your networks incoming and outgoing ports. If there are abnormal activities you can easily pinpoint the culprint especially if you have assigned static IP's through your DHCP server.

Windows 2000/2003 has alot of built-in and downloadable software that does not "spy" on the users but still provide relevant information where you can make sure your network is being used in a correct manner.

With proper AUP (acceptable user policies), bannered system for warning messages, cooperate investigators may be able to do more things than law enforcement can without a subpoena or court order.

Your policies will save you money, time and headaches. However people usually never read the company's policies, so they wouldn't know. It's ethical that you tell them though, to establish a trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom