Netwerking using crossover cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
The drive formats wont matter over the network. Try just sharing the drive as "C" and see how that works.

I also have a Win2k3 machine that I use on my network. I threw in a 98SE image on another machine and was able to go back and forth after both mahines were up. This was using a default installation.....no changes. I will look further but there is something that we are missing here.....

-Mike

Windows 98 can't recognize NTFS file systems. most likely, your W98 machine is running on FAT32
but like mikesgroovin said, that shouldn't make a difference because XP can read both NTFS and FAT32. just to clarify that...

Actually, what you are saying is incorrect.
This is only true within an OS.
Win98 running a FAT32 file system CAN detect and read a NTFS file system over a network.
Anyway...his problem is going from his Win2k3 to 98 PC.....

-Mike

ok guys it doesnt even matta... cuz as i said " ...its running NTFS..." but yeah so i just cant seem to find my win98 computer on my netwerk... but i can see my win2k3 computer when im on my win98... i dun understandd whats goinn onn

i almost would have thought he was right about NTFS and win98. mike is the reason because win2k will 'translate' the information to the win98 machine so it would see the files or is it because the protocol translates it or why?

A_Zip1 i ran into your problem a week or so ago between win98 and winxp pro. my cause was because either the sharing permission wrong or more likely it is because your share names are invalid and win98 cannot recognize them.

what are you naming your shares? try using a max of 11 charaters and numbers only and the dash "-". no spaces, no capital letters ect, only alphanumeric.

or enclose the \\pc name \drive name in quotes...

generally though, you are better off NOT putting spaces in pcnames, usernames or sharenames...

if its a small network, keep the names short and sweet (*you may hafta type them someday*)...

what happens if you fire up a command prompt and type
C:\>NET USE X: \\PCNAME\SHARENAME
or
C:\> NET VIEW \\PCNAME

do you have the Microsoft networking running on both computers?

Hey, well in reply to ekÆsine, the problem isnt that win98 cant recognize the files on the win2k3 computer, the win98 computer is working perfectly i have a proxy set up on my win2k3 computer and it gives the win98 computer the net, and i can see the files on the win2k3 computer when im on the win98 comp, but the problem is i cant seem to find the win98 computer when im on my win2k3 i tryed everything... the ip for the other card is "192.168.0.2" and i can ping the win98 computer from my win2k3 computer i just cant find it er anything, like to share files etc. , But yeah in reply to Gruntwerk if i type in " Net View \\A_Zip1 " without the quotaion marks it saiz "System error 53 occurd, The network path was not found", and if i type in " Net Use X: \\A_Zip1\Andrews C " it saiz "System error 67 occured, The netwerk name cannot be found"....

just so we get the obvious out of the way, do you have any software firewalls enabled on the win98? and also should you be using a crossover cable instead of straight?

Yes, and yes... i have NPF [Norton Personal Firewall] 2003 on my win98 computer, and im using a cross-over cable, i put the IP of the second NIC card to allow through the win98 computer with NPF... and ive also disabled it, and still no works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom