netgear access with HP wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollisterdave

Beta member
I purchased a netgear wireless router (MR 814V2) on 12-26-03. I have my main computer and DSL connection set up through the router (hard-wired) and use 1 wireless laptop to connect from elsewhere in my house.

When I first purchased the laptop and the Netgear product, their tech people helped me set up my network. The wireless laptop worked great. A couple of weeks ago, the wireless computer inexplicably stopped working overnight - with no changes to the system at all of which I am aware.

I use a hp pavillion ze4500 wireless laptop. When I go to "my network places" and then "network connections" - the Wireless Network Connection says "Wireless connection unavailable" "Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN".

The wireless button is "on" on the face of the lap top, with the blue light illuminated; however, the icon in the tray at the bottom of the computer says "wireless connection unavailable".

Can you possibly help me identify how to set this up so that it will start working with the router as it had (without problem) until a couple of weeks ago??

I have e-maied netgear support, with no response at all for over a week. They wont help me on the phone unless I pay per call!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for any help.

Are you using wep or right click goto status click view avilable connections then click on yours and then click connect

I am not familiar with WEP, although I read about it and have only a vague understanding; however, when I "view available connections". When I clike on "network conntections" The wireless Network connection shows, and is not disabled; however, when I right click on that and "view wreless networks", the box is blank - as if it doesn't receive the wireless signal - even though the wireless button is "on" on the laptop.....

Yeah for some reason it is not seeing your router on your router are you using mac address filtering

I dont think so.
The only thing that seems weird is that even though the wireless button/blue light are "on", When I push it in, it only blinks 5 or 6 times, and then stays on.
I'm not sure if there may be something wrong with the wireless button, but the laptop is not even a year old yet, so I'm not sure what to think.
I may have to check a wireless "cafe" to see if it the laptop "sees" the signal from another wireless system.

Thanks though - and anything else you can think of telling me to check would be appreciated.

Hey,
Thanks for your help anyway.
FYI, or for anybody else who has a problem similar to this (it works one day, but stops the next): HP had me do a SYSTEM RESTORE, back to the day it was working. I did this in a few minutes, and now my laptop is back to working with my wireless system just as it had before! Thanks for the feedback, and I leave this here for anybody else who reads and possibly encounters a simliar problem.
GO SYSTEM RESTORE!!! : 0 )

Ok that will fix it for that time being but what about after that you are going to have to keep doing system restores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom