need a wireless usb adapter recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tastegw

Inspired by Art
hi, i need to replace my pci slot wireless adapter WG311T.
its not broken or anything, i just need the space that it uses inside the case,
to add another card for crossfire.

so im looking to see if there ia a reliable wireless usb adapter with enough range to go from downstairs to upstairs though just 2 walls.

most of the reviews i read say either these things overheat or just lose connection from time to time, i do not want either of that to happen.

another alternitive is to recommend a very small pci slot wireless adapter.
my wg311t if i put in my top pci slot would block my 4770's fan because the wg311t is a rather large card.

thanks in advance.

What other kinds of cards are you using, and what motherboard that you don't have an open PCI slot?

Since you already have the card, I would say to try putting it in the top spot for a few days, and monitor temps of the card to see what kind of effects it has on the card. I would imagine that the bottom card would be warmer given that it is drawing in hot air from off of the top card. I would think it should be fine, and can only hope that the OEM's would design the cards such that they will be sufficiently cooled with only a small space between the cards.

What other kinds of cards are you using, and what motherboard that you don't have an open PCI slot?

Since you already have the card, I would say to try putting it in the top spot for a few days, and monitor temps of the card to see what kind of effects it has on the card. I would imagine that the bottom card would be warmer given that it is drawing in hot air from off of the top card. I would think it should be fine, and can only hope that the OEM's would design the cards such that they will be sufficiently cooled with only a small space between the cards.

im not really sure why i didnt even think to test my wireless pci card out in the top slot right next to my gpu. sometimes i cant seem to think out of the box because the box isnt even there hehe.

i will try that tommorw, thanks for the good suggestion. if it works with decent gpu temps, you saved me a few bucks.

here is my board layout
BiostarTPowerX58A.jpg

the top pci-e slot has my dual slot gpu
then we have the pci 1.0 (i think?) that is not going to be used
then we have the first (green) pci slot (currently not used)
then we have the 2nd pci-e slot (reserved for a second dual slot gpu)
the we have the 2nd pci slot (my wireless card is currently in, but will have to be moved)
and then we have the 3rd pci-e slot (may or maynot get used, havnet decided yet, thats for a later date)

edit: after looking at the inside of my case, the wireless pci card would be about 1/4 inch from the gpu's heatsink/fan, and it would cover it entirely if you were looking up at it. but it may work, ill have to run a test.

I don't know if this "MIGHT" help, but I had bought one of these yesterday and they are going for 16.95 with free shipping I don't think that me and the ethernet wires would work especially with cockerspaniels that like to tear everything apart T_T.

Anyway I've dealt these before and they are very good and have less problems then d-links wua adapters.

Netgear WPN111 RangeMax MIMO Wireless USB Adapter 2.0 - eBay (item 220364263684 end time May-19-09 07:11:09 PDT)

There a few auctions ending in about 9 hours that have the wg111 adapters going for 5.00 or more with shipping and handling.

I don't know if this "MIGHT" help, but I had bought one of these yesterday and they are going for 16.95 with free shipping I don't think that me and the ethernet wires would work especially with cockerspaniels that like to tear everything apart T_T.

Anyway I've dealt these before and they are very good and have less problems then d-links wua adapters.

Netgear WPN111 RangeMax MIMO Wireless USB Adapter 2.0 - eBay (item 220364263684 end time May-19-09 07:11:09 PDT)

There a few auctions ending in about 9 hours that have the wg111 adapters going for 5.00 or more with shipping and handling.

id rather not buy from the bay, how would this one from the egg do you think?
Newegg.com - Recertified: NETGEAR WNDA3100-100NAR IEEE 802.11a/b/g, IEEE802.11n Draft USB 2.0 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Adapter Up to 300Mbps Data Rates Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK)
Wired Equivalent Privacy

edit, i forgot to test if my pci card in the top slot would overheat my gpu.....ill try again tomorrow.

Hmm, if you don't mind paying for the 24.00 and shipping and handling which shoudn't be much at go ahead and get it now, but go ahead and test you pci card and see if you still having that problem, if you are go ahead and order it and it should be at your house on tuesday.
The best thing I like about newegg is they ship it out way too quick, if you have a probelm with the product they'll gladly replace it not unless it's remanufacturers product with big problems...

Hmm, if you don't mind paying for the 24.00 and shipping and handling which shoudn't be much at go ahead and get it now, but go ahead and test you pci card and see if you still having that problem, if you are go ahead and order it and it should be at your house on tuesday.
The best thing I like about newegg is they ship it out way too quick, if you have a probelm with the product they'll gladly replace it not unless it's remanufacturers product with big problems...

ya, especially to my house, they have a location less than 90 miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom