Need some help with a office network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agency

Baseband Member
I am trying to network 3 computers together that all share 1 printer.

Here is what i have done:

I bought a 5 port switch and plugged the internet into the switch. I then plugged all 3 computers into the switch.

The computers can all now get on the net.

I created a workgroup on the computer that has the printer attached to it. I made the printer a network printer so everyone could print to it.

I then went to the next PC and added that to the workgroup. This computer has its own printer, but also shares the network printer.

It all works just fine so far.

I go to the 3rd computer and try to add it to the network and it wont let me.

I this error:
Carriers not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
this server to find out if you have access permission.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

Carriers is the workgroup name.

Can anyone help me solve this problem.
I cant figure it out :(

make sure to have IPX/SPX protocol installed on the computers. and the file and printer sharing.

file and print sharing is on.

I have tried to rejoin the 3rd machine about 30 times. Doesnt work.

Ill try the IPX/SPX protocol thing.

thats always the thing I forget to do... then I wonder why nothing works.

Have you set all the pcs to the same workgroup name, which in your case, Carriers?

Unless your network printer uses IPX protocol, I see no reason to install it. Most likely it's using TCP/IP.

When you change the workgroup the netbios cached might not be clear correctly, therefore the third computer may not be able to resolved the computer and workgroup name. The solution is to open up command prompt and do nbtstat -R

Another issue is that you did not give the current user who is logged into the third computer permission to access the printer. Using XP Pro or 2000 Pro, make sure you give the specific group (that the user is in) permission to read & execute, read, and list content.

Check firewall setting or disable them.

Being in the same network helps too, verify you can communicate by pinging back and forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom