Need help setting up network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD911

Solid State Member
I'm just trying to set up a home network and am wondering. When running ethernet cable is there a maximum length that you shouldn't exceed...one of my comps will probably need over 50 feet of cable to reach. Would it be better to set up a wireless network? Are wireless networks slower? if so by how much, also will the length of an ethernet cable seriously effect the speed?

A wire that length will be fine. I think there is only a decrease in performance after about 100 metres, which is much longer than 50 feet. Wireless networks are slower, they're usually about 54Mb/sec, which is roughly half the speed of wired.

Ok thanks, what about running the ethernet cable outside?? Its going to be diffucult to run the cable inside. Is it possible to run it outdoors without affecting performance?? Keep in mind we get really cold winters and really hot summers.

You can get cable that is meant to go outside. I dont think that it would be a good idea to run a regular ethernet cable outside.

OK. Do you know what this cable is called? Like what category it is or anything like that? Also is it still Ok to run up to 100ft?

1 meter = 3.2808399 feet

so yeah, roughly 300 feet. Thats what my Cisco instructor had told me for a rule of thumb, 300 feet. But generally you dont want to max that out. usuually the shorter the better, (to some degree)

^Ok thanks, what about running ethernet outdoors?? know anything about that, like what kinda cable i would need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom