need help networking !

Status
Not open for further replies.

makaveli#1fan

Baseband Member
When my brother in law comes around he brings his laptop, we want to network our computers using the cross over cable i have, each computer is running xp home edition and both recognise the connection, where do i go from here??

- Dale :confused:

At that point you are a Peer to Peer network. So you can access files on each machine if you have the correct logins. What is it that you are doing that you want to network the machines together?

i think you guys might be overthinking this one. makaveli#1fan run the network setup wizard in my network places or network connections folder. right click on a folder and click sharing and security. check the box for share this folder on network.

to get to that folder in another machine go to my network places you should see a shared folder appear within 2 minutes. if you dont click the view workgroup computers on the left side-menu and browse through the workgroup names and shared resources.

this is simple sharing. no passwords or usernames are needed to access any folders set up this way since both are winXP machines. there are advanced sharing options. if you need them disable simple sharing mode in any folder options. this is only for advanced users

dont i have 2 setup n e ip ads first? i've had them networked together before by following instructions of a mate, now that i tried it again, i set the ips first, the through ms dos, i try pinging each computer, where each computer doesn't not find 1 another, the cross over cable is brand new from a dse powerhouse so what do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom