need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nirvana1234

Baseband Member
hey yall, right now i have a really crappy family PC in my downstairs living room. i will be making my own gaming PC in a few months. problem is my room is upstairs and i have some questions on networking.

alright first off can you run a router just off the internet connection. what I mean by this is i really dont know how long my family PC will live cuz its really old and i dont want to have to move the cables and all that whatnot upstairs cuz itll cost a lil too much for me. so can i connect the router without any PC and have the signal go upstarts to my soon to come PC.

i have cox digital cable if that helps answer my question.

nirvana1234 said:
hey yall, right now i have a really crappy family PC in my downstairs living room. i will be making my own gaming PC in a few months. problem is my room is upstairs and i have some questions on networking.

alright first off can you run a router just off the internet connection. what I mean by this is i really dont know how long my family PC will live cuz its really old and i dont want to have to move the cables and all that whatnot upstairs cuz itll cost a lil too much for me. so can i connect the router without any PC and have the signal go upstarts to my soon to come PC.

i have cox digital cable if that helps answer my question.

I have no idea what you just said.

But let me assume, if you're asking if you could run just a router, well yea. What' exactly are you tallking about here, the router is just there to share your cable Internet, it doesn't care if you want to connect your computer to it or not. If you want to use the wireless feature, just use it, no wired computer need to be connected to it.

lol yea sry im at school so i am like half paying attention to wat im writing on here. u answered my question tho so thank you

i was reading up a lil more on networking and the article i was reading said that wireless networking is slower then wired(which ishould have realized). i am trying to play FPS games such as battlefield2 and half life 2 ect and im wondering if a wireless network would impede my gaming performance

nirvana1234 said:
i was reading up a lil more on networking and the article i was reading said that wireless networking is slower then wired(which ishould have realized). i am trying to play FPS games such as battlefield2 and half life 2 ect and im wondering if a wireless network would impede my gaming performance

Yea it is not reliable to be playing online game using a wireless connection. You could do so but you'll find out why it sucks for online or intensive bandwidth application like games and downloading. I prefer wired when gaming, it's just that ease of mind knowing it's more reliable and I don't have to worry about bad pings and IC and getting disconnected in the middle of a good game ****es me off :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom