Need to get my Direcway Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcw757

Baseband Member
Ok, I've got direcway going at my house now, and I want a wireless connection for my laptop and other computer in the basement. Now I know I'm going to have to use the ICS on the server computer, but I'm having a hellavu time trying to set it up the way I want. Can anyone point me in the right direction? My extent of home networking knowledge is plug cable modem into router, done...

ICS...avoid it if poss. It sets up a mini DHCP server on the card you share...and if memory servers forces you to use 192.168.0.x as a netID. Annoying. Suggest a cheapo wirless router instead, if poss :)

Well, my thought was I could use ICS on the box that has the Direcway installed on it (it's a usb modem, so I'm forced to use some kind of software sharing service) and then hook a wireless router up to it. Hooking the server computer into the WAN port on the back of the router using a crossover cable, trying to make the router think that it's just a cable modem or something. Does this seem logical? I want the router to act as a dhcp server as well for my laptops....

On a side note, as long as you don't want to play any multi-player gaming, direcway is pretty fast. Had to get the install guy out to the house 5 times before the sat would pick up more than 40% signal on a clear day, but according to DTV that's an acceptable connection. It just wasn't in my book...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom