modem gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekÆsine

Fully Optimized
I was connecting a linksys WRT54G wireless G router to a Westell Versalink wireless modem gateway by connecting the versalinks E1 data port to the linksys router's WAN port. This didn't work. I even tried to connect the modem to the linksys' data1/uplink port, but that didn't work either. The router was telling me that the IP address from the modem was 192.168.1.46 which sounded completely wrong to me. The Versalink had port E1, E2, E3, and E4 and that was all. those were it's data ports I assumed.

Verizon DSL basically told me to "buy our special Westell wireless adaptors to wirelessly share the internet or go to hell". After talking to linksys support he told me to use their NetSet Assistant. The software made me connect the computer directly to the modem itself. it ran some kind of diagnostic. than it prompted me to connect the modem's E1 to the linksys router's WAN internet port (which is what I had tried before). It reconfigured my linksys router for the new configuration and everything worked. This is one example than Indian tech support works

My real question is what did NetSet Assistant (http://www.linksysfix.com/check/) do to my router? and is it possible for me to set this up myself without this utility? I have never dealt with a modem gateway before. I'm used to having the modem spit out a WAN IP to my router

wow, that Versalink is a pretty sweet piece of hardware.
http://www.westell.com/content/products/pdf/versalink.pdf

Anyway, I would suspect that all it's doing is doing a scan to determine the needed config on the Wan port.
From what I gathered on the information from Westall, this is an all in one type device, so you have 2 routers talking to each other. This would require configuring the traffic routes for it to work right. That is what I would assume this was doing. Should be possible for you to do it your self, given a good understanding of the configuration of each device.

hope that helps.

It did seem to behave exactly like a router to me too, but it didn't uplink together like a normal router would. I would have looked at the linksys's router config page, but for some reason the NetSet Assistant changed my password. the default password "admin" worked before and after it was configured the password no longer worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom