Mapping Network Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADZ

Fully Optimized
I have mapped a network drive a zillion times, but I have a program that needs access to a specific program that I have mapped to my 'T' drive.

When I reboot the machine, it has a red X thru it. If i double click on it, it connects fine. It just wont connect @ startup. I have re-created the mapped drive a couple of times. Still hasnt done it.

I have also re-installed the program that requires the mapped network drive, just in case that was the issue.

Any suggestions?

Drop a batch file in your startup folder.
give it the line
NET USE D: \\PuterName\Drive /yes
Should work maybe? Good luck.

you should add the /persistent switch to it so that it stays connected all the time. Full batch should looks like this...

net use x: \\server\driver /delete
net use x: \\server\driver /persistent:yes

Like Ryan said, drop it into the start up and this way the connection will always be fresh. The /delete is used to refresh the connection and the persistent it just to enforce the property.
takes like 2 seconds to run so this should be good for you.

How do you create a batch file??? and where do you put it? I have never created on before! :p

this is from the days of DOS. they are text files with extension .BAT ,they are still very powerful today. batch accept most dos commands.

right click the desktop, new, text file. Rename the file to run.bat, and click yes on the file type change dialog.
Then place the text in the file that was mentioned before. Then place the file in the startup folder on the start menu.
That will run every time the machine reboots.
You can also place it in the registy so that it runs as the GUI loads. HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run is the key to place things in for that reason.

Good luck

Win XP pro right?

I suggest adding the Mapped drive to your QuickLaunch bar, through th control panel, so as the computer is loading, it will check out that path. This is what I consider a simple solution.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom