Ma Bell is Rearing Her Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskiegirl302

Beta member
I will be posting this in every forum I can find. You are welcome to copy and paste it anywhere you want to also.

"The network builders are spending a fortune constructing and maintaining the networks [Why do they do this? I would presume it is to make money. Well, just how do they get that money? From us. The consumer.] that Google intends to ride on with nothing but cheap servers,"[How does he know what Google intends to do? Key word here is intends] Verizon deputy general counsel John Thorne told a conference marking the 10th anniversary of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. "It is enjoying a free lunch[Which has always been there until now, without harassment] that should, by any rational account, be the lunch of the facilities providers."[Looking for a way to maintain and make bigger, that which they started and have now found themselves in need of a way in which to fund their technology.] Take it to the bank verizon.

Verizon is spending billions of dollars to CONSTRUCT(in the process) a fiber-optic network around the country {Exactly what I said a minute ago.} They need money to "CONSTRUCT" this network for delivering high-speed Internet and cable TV services. Why should everyone else pay for this? Executives at other telecom companies, such as AT&T Inc. chief executive Edward E. Whitacre Jr., have suggested that Google, Yahoo Inc. and other such Internet services should have to pay fees for preferred access to consumers over such lines.

Let me say this. It took a lot. 10 years or more of a lot of hard work and dedication to bring verizon and at&t and other networks, the intelligence and construction of the internet which not only consumers, but small businesses and big businesses worked hard on to develop to this point. Now they want to claim a monopoly? Not on my money they aren't. If this can be done with them riding on coat tails for the last ten years, then they can reciprocate the generosity to all that the internet stands for. It does not take only fiber optic networks. It takes, all of the technology industry to make this work. Neutrality is where we have been, and where it should continue to stand. Ma Belle is fast going down and I for one do not think that just because they supply some cable lines and fiber optics they should be asking for money from everyone else who has developed and made possible the internet which has been made usable to all. If they want that, does anyone know how to lay out cable and connect one computer to another so we all can stay online without these money hungry companies demanding more money? I see a monster. I see them asking yahoo, google, msn, and others for money. Once they serve their money to a platter on them, then farther down the road they are going to come after us. Leave us alone.

"In the Internet world, both ends essentially pay for access to the Internet system, and so the providers of access get compensated by the users at each end," said Cerf, who helped develop the Internet's basic communications protocol. "My big concern is that suddenly access providers want to step in the middle and create a toll road to limit customers' ability to get access to services of their choice even though they have paid for access to the network in the first place."

Post Google's Vint Cerf said the telecoms want to collect tolls at the beginning, middle and end of the road.

They already get their money. Now they are holding out their hands again, when we are struggling to just make ends meet in todays world. It's just criminal.

I think it's a little bit early.... They won't be able to do anything like that without approval from the federal government.

I read your article , so is it basically about telecoms trying to over tax the internet with fees ? What is your point about Verizon FIOS.
I am getting that installed tomorrow, it will cost less than the Verizon DSL I have now. ...is that wrong to get FIOS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom