Losing Packets

Status
Not open for further replies.

XFlamez

In Runtime
Im using a Linksys 802.11G Router.

Im using a Linksys USB 802.11B Adapter.
Being online is fine, i get great connection, but i lose packets.

When I play CS thats how i know because i spike every few minute.
I even did a broadband test and it shows that i lose packets.

Anyone know why?

Is it becuz im using 802.11B adapter on a 802.11G router?

The router should be backwards compatable, the connection will just be slower than 802.11G obviously. How far apart are the adaptor and router? Is there any wiring or brick/stone in the area you are using it? Those things might account for packet loss.

The reason why internet browsing works fine is because you don't have a constant stream of packets going back and forth, atleast not at the rate a FPS requires. Gaming takes considerably more bandwidth than regular internet browsing or instant messaging.

EDIT: I don't use wireless very often, but 802.11B isn't very fast to start with. So depending on the distance you are from the router, you might be in an unfixable situation, unless you switch to 802.11G. I know wireless wouldn't be my first choice for a connection that would have any type of online gaming going across it.

thanks for the info...i kinda gotten all type of answers lol
but during black friday i just got the DLINK USB 802.11G adapter and router kit
i plugged the DLINK router to the Linksys one
basically extension for me
and im using the 802.11G adapter now i can play FPS games nicely
people think i hack, now that i don't spike lol

nah dude if u got a decent computer gaming on a wireless connection isnt that bad. When i had my wireless connection working right i played cs and guild wars fine with zero lag with an exception to lag when entering server in guild wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom