Loggin into server

Status
Not open for further replies.

schultzy

In Runtime
Hi, I have knowledge in networking, windows and Computer hardware

I currently have a peer to peer network running in my house. With an Internet connection being shared through a Netcomm NB1300plus4 Router/modem. between 3 computers.
Just looking for some advice for setting up the network so that computer 1 (main one) is a server (needs to be still running windows xp)
and computer 2, 3 and others are setup that they need to be logged in to Computer 1 before they share resources and internet, Or do I need to get rid of the modem/router to do it

BTW computer 1 is connected by a virtual network port, through USB

Thanks,
Schultzy

PS If that cannot be done, whats are some other ways of setting it up

I don't think you can do that in a workgroup environment. With a workgroup environment like most home users have, all the computers on their network are both servers and workstations, they take care of themselves and doesn't require to login to another machine.

What you want is a domain, with Windows Server OS. Windows 2000 server or 2003 server. Windows XP can not give you this ability. XP Pro does come with FTP service and IIS (Microsoft web server) that you can use.

You can use Computer1 to share Internet, that's just using ICS. However Computer2 and 3 are still login to their own machine but just connected to Computer1 for Internet, this would require a physical change to your network, like adding 1 more network card and using the router as a switch port or you can keep the router the way it is and just add another network card and a switch for the other two computer. Take a look in the networking tips and trick, you'll find that I wrote up some ICS guide.

Thanks, for reply
Thats how i did have it, but i changed to using the router/modem

I might get Windows Server 2003 and use that on a spare computer and share it all, or i might as well just leave it the way it is, ill have to look into it further

What are the optimal specs for running a server with server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom