Linksys Wireless router setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

skomer84

Solid State Member
I'm not too familiar with networking and routers but I just got Cable internet hooked up today and I have 2 computers. I have a linksys router and a Linksys wireless USB network adapter. I hooked the router up to the computer with the cable modem but could not get it configured using the setup cd. I kept getting an error and just hit cancel. Then just to see what happened, I hooked the network adapter to the other computer also without configuring and to my surprise, the internet works great on both computers. My question is: do I need to go configure anything for security reasons etc? It seems to me that all the steps the setup CD had me go through was supposed to do something and I read somewhere in the instructions about my information being available to others if I did not setup something in the program but I do not remember what it said. Can anyone tell me if I'm okay the way it is now or do I need to go back and change something? Thank you.

Don't use the installation cd's that come with router or your cable internet, they're useless and tend to confuse people more than help them. Just set up WEP or better yet WPA if it's available, and your good to go. If you want to be really secure you can enable mac address filtering, and then disable SSID. If you want to do that and your not sure how just let us know!

open ur browser (internet explorer) and put 192.168.1.1 in the address bar. no user name amd admin as password. go through all the tabs and set up your preferences. it will tell you what each thing is so dont worry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom