Linksys Network Wireless Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

XemoXtildeathX

Beta member
Ok here it goes,
my mom recently put a wireless linksys network into are home. I have a desktop computer in my room i built myself and she has one upstairs on the other side of the house. Now i know most think that it "may" lose connection becuase its so far away but i doubt it's that. Our network used to go on and off but atfer some time it stayed perfeclty fine. All of a sudden the other day on my computer it totally stopped dead in the water. I am on the notebook upstairs which works perfeclty fine. My computer says it also is connected but when i try to open (icq,kazaa lite, mozilla firefox etc...) there is no connection at all and everything fails. My mom's computer has the access point the cable modem and the cable/dsl router. My computer is equipped with the wireless access point adapter. I'm in need of help cuz everything i'm trying doesnt seem to work.
My Computer:-Windows 2000
Mom's:-Windows Xp pro
if you do not want to write to me on here send to this email:
ncoshene@winonacotter.org thanks
.....by the way people suggested that it could be becuase of a 2.4 telephone but actually my mom purchased a 5.8 i dont know if there is any difference...thanks for the help:(

Could aslo be a microwave, but I think you need to 1st try resetting the router and modem.. turn off your computer and turn it back on. If you're using DHCP it should find itself.. if you still dont get it, then go into your router's setup (should be <go to browser> type 192.168.1.1, press enter... i think), then check the DHCP Client list.. im sure Linksys has one in there somewhere.. if yours is listed then you need to check all the settings on the comp (in internet (tcp/ip) properties..) manually configure it if you must.. I had to do it.. I have no idea why, but it works now. If you still have problems then reply i have a whole list of crap you can do to fix it. :)

I was having trouble with my Linksys Wireless Router as well...
If you have a cordless phone that runs in the same range (IE 2.4ghz) you might have to look at trying another brand of phone. I switched to VTECH, and seems to be working fine since then

Hi,

I have set up 4 Linksys WAP/Routers for the company I work for, and we've had problems with several different PCMCIA cards. Especially 3Com cards. They stay connected at first for a few hours, and then cut out. We have tried resetting the WAP, PC's, changing channels, 3 different versions of drivers and we tried 4 of their cards, all failed. 3Com support could not help us either. If you are using a 3Com card, I would say you are SOL. Ones we have found to work excellent are TRENDnet (cheap) and Linksys cards. No problems connecting with these.

I've had similar problems with Linksys APs before. You should try doing a hard reset of the device. You'll have to reconfigure the settings, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Are you able to connect to the internet through the wired connection?

Also try power cycling your modem while it is connected to the AP, then refresh the WAN IP address in the configuration screen.

You might also try scanning with a utility like NetStumbler to see if there are any new networks in your area that are causing interference.

-James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom