linksys blocking msupdate and hotmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossbrand

Solid State Member
I have a Linksys router (WRT54G) it has just stated blocking me out of hotmail and ms update. It only blocks the computer (CPU=p4 OS= xphome) that I have running on through one of the four cat5 ports [It does not matter which port] my other computer (CPU =p2 OS = win98) is wireless and is having no problem accessing hotmail.

If I plug it in directly to the modem It works fine so I know its the router (I think)
I have also plugged a laptop in to the ports and it does not work either I have reset the router with the button on the back several times and set it up like I did the first time but no go.

The only thing that I have done recently is set up file and print sharing between the two

And yes I have google it

! i had to remove the router to make the post

Uhm, the router will have a firewall on it I'm guessing, i am 80% sure it is within the firewall, firstly allow ports 80 (web pages) and then see if you connect here, This will allow hotmail (web based) work, I'm not sure what port msn update uses, I'll go google that in a minute and find out although that may also be port 80.

Hope that helps
David

That seems a little odd, if the router was blocking MS services then NONE of your PC's would be able to connect to a MS site. Since you have already tried changing ports and have other functioning computers then it is unlikely that the router is the culprit.

BUT, you can doublecheck the router settings to see if the IP address assigned to that specific PC (the one that doesn't work properly) is blocked from accessing internet access.

If you find that it isn't then it is NOT an router issue, it is an issue with the PC's configuration.

Let us know what happens.

go it to go

Thanks for the posts they put me on the right track to fixing it
I did the port forwarding of 80 but that did not work
So I did some reading and found out that I should also change the MTU (maximum transmission unit) to 1430. The linksys default is set to 1500 I donÂ’t know how it was working before. You donÂ’t happen to know if there are any bad side affect to doing this or if there is some way to change xp to allow 1500.

I know it was crazy how one could be doing it and the other not.
I change the IP address a couple of times but that did not work
But this is the first time I have ever done any thing with routers and I have not had my DSL very long so it was probably my fault (something stupid I did)

Thank to all

Changing the MTU will only help you in certain circumstances. In the interests of 'Security' Some servers on the net block the fragmentation messages necessary to reconstruct packets that have been split becase they do not fit in the MTU size.

But this normally only effects certain web sites or other services where you route takes you through one of these servers.

All my computers work at 1500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom