Laptop - Wireless security

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Baseband Member
Laptop - Wireless security

A friend just purchased a Dell laptop and has an Adelphia wireless cable modem.

What can I do to help her be more secure while on a wireless connection?

At this point that all the info I have.

To start with ;read up on and enable wireless encryption.This is not all you need to do;but,its a start.It will keep kindergardeners from hacking your friend................maybe:cool:

While you are in the config. Utility consider disabeling SSID broadcast & Mac filtering

Maybe this will hold you over till someone knowledgable jumps in here:p .............................regards

T22 4me said:
To start with ;read up on and enable wireless encryption.This is not all you need to do;but,its a start.It will keep kindergardeners from hacking your friend................maybe:cool:

While you are in the config. Utility consider disabeling SSID broadcast & Mac filtering

Maybe this will hold you over till someone knowledgable jumps in here:p .............................regards

Basically what was said above should be good.

Yeah that should help ya. When I disable my SSID broadcast my wireless pc's can't access the internet via the router though:confused:

Address the router by typing 192.168.1.1 into the address bar in internet explorer.Once you get there you will find the settings menus easy enough.............
The laptop should have a config. utility for the wireless card/adapter...look under security once you get into the utility.

You should find most of this info in the users manual for the router.If the 192.168.1.1 doesnt bring up the router;should be able to find correct address there.

If not;post back with make and model of router and we will take it from there.

I have a Westell 327W which I'm tryiny to look at at my place just to get an idea.

I can get into the settings but don't know what to put where.

The friend I'm trying to help has Adelephia cable (haven't been there yet so don't know model) and just bought a Dell laptop (don't know model of that).

I guess I can get more info and then once I figure out what I'm doing, call and walk her through the set up.

Once in the westell,go to configuration..wireless......enable wireless.......enable encryption...........enter an encryption code and hit save.....................

In the laptop config utility under security enable encryption and key in the same exact code (case sensitive) hit apply.

unplug the westell for 30 seconds,plug it back in,restart all computers(I even had to restart the desktops that were hardwire)

By the way I have the same modem/router and a Belkin G wireless card.

Hope this helps............:)

Where would I go to find "In the laptop config utility under security enable encryption and key in the same exact code (case sensitive) hit apply."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom