Laptop wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdy3_uk

Solid State Member
I have recently brought a new laptop computer, it has no network adapter card in it but does have a slot for it. I also have a desktop pc with broadband internet access via a usb modem.

I am moving out in a month or so to move in with some mates. They also have a desktop pc with broadband internet access. They dont mind me sharing their connection but dont want me changing anything ont eh computer such as the modem etc.

So, I wish to connect my alptop to the internet via their internet connection wireleslly. I have read around a bit and think usb is my best option because it will mean I dont have to change anything radical on their system.

I have spoke to someone and have been told to use 2 of these http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx...5haltbNlwaaRp7DkoAmu5j3cf/YEMAM7h3qPoLEYQueM=

One in the desktop and one in the laptop. But I have 2 questions, 1. will this work...Do these mean I dont need to buy a wireless router? and 2. Does it matter that my pc is only usb 1.0 while my laptop has usb2.0. Are these compatible with both 1.0 and 2.0?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Tx

The link says address not found, but I assume you are talking about a usb wireless adapter.

If this is the case you will still need a wireless router in order to send a signal to your client.

I dont know about the specific model of the USB adapter that you are trying to get, but from what I understand, those adapters dont go very far/have a poor signal. So your best bet would be to get a card and put it in your laptop. This would mean that you would have to get a wireless router.

I am not sure if I answered your question, just let me know if there is something that I didn't cover, and get that link working again so I will be in more of a position to help you out.

apparantely that link diddnt work either. Tryhttp://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx/oIJaWVUDLYZU93ygJVYKOhST9vhLPG3yV3oVI15haltbNlwaaRp7D4sAmu5j3cf/YEMAM7i3aHjLUgWsOrb

If that doesnt work then the product is a D-Link DWL-G132 108Mbps Wireless USB Adapter

Ta Tom

You will indeed need a wireless router. To utilize the "g" functionality of that adapter you will want a 802.11g router. This usb adapter is a client which means it will be looking for an access point (router). As far as usb compatibility goes you will be fine. USB 2.0 devices will work on 1.1 connections but in the case of like an external HD they will run at the slower 1.1 speed. In your case I don't believe it will be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom