Laptop screws the network when turned on

Status
Not open for further replies.
That'll be a project for later this morning. I'm taking my happy [butt] to bed. ;)

I always look at it like a murder mystery. Compile a list of possible suspects then start to eliminate them leaving only the guilty party.

Even though it will not directly help solve the issue it will get us looking in the right direction.

Tried turning off the wireless card and hooked it up via ethernet. The frigging thing STILL stuffed my network! This is absolutely nuts! How in the world is this doing it? I never had this problem when I was running Vista, nor have I ever had this kind of problem with any other Vista machine I have worked on.

Same thing with FF?
Don't have it installed on the lappy. It disrupts the network just by being on and connected to it, no browser needed.

Tried reinstalling IE?
Attempted, but unsucessful. The current version on the laptop (updated) is more current than the one you download so it won't do it.

are you sure its the laptop? have you tried removign the lappy from the network and evauating performance of other pcs?
Yep, multiple times. It's insane. It's like flipping a switch... the moment the lappy connects BAM! there goes the network stability.

I've been searching for answers online. I have found others with the same or similar problems, but no answers. I have tried everything I have found (that was an actual attempt at a solution and not some idiot spouting off what he didn't know).

I checked for IP conflicts. My desktop is using 192.168.2.172 and the lappy is using 192.168.2.104 so that should be good. I have turned off NetBIOS over TCP/IP and IPv6. I have tried everything listed in this thread except for what I have expressly said I did not. It just burns me up as this is probably a simple fix... somehow.

EDIT - Four tries to post this with lappy connected. Turned off its wireless, went straight through, as well as this edit.

Are you running STP on your router. Could be looping up somehow. Im almost thinking its something with your firewall. Does she have third party virus software installed? Such as AVG? that has a firewall?

If the switch module in your router is sending a certain packet that is blocked by the firewall, it will send it right back to the switch, in turn the switch will try and find a place to send those packets again (Unless spanning tree protocol is running) and will essentially loop up, and bring down your network.

Let me know what happens.

*edit*

It REALLY REALLY sounds like a layer 4 problem to me. Turn off all firewalls, even the one in your router. See if that works, and try forwarding all registered ports to that lappy.

Are you running STP on your router. Could be looping up somehow. Im almost thinking its something with your firewall. Does she have third party virus software installed? Such as AVG? that has a firewall?
Not that I am aware of (STP). I installed Microsoft Security Essentials on the laptop, so no firewall with it. I have tried it with the Windows firewall on and off.

The bouncing packet theory fits, but there's not much I can do about that.

I'm calling it quits on this thing. If it were mine I would hammer it out to work with my network... even if it meant ditching Vista. But it's not mine and I have to deliver it to the owner tomorrow (should have gotten it back to her Monday but I wanted to get this resolved).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom