Laptop as Network Adapter IP Address Problem

ZachAAron

Solid State Member
I am trying to use my Toshiba Satellite Laptop as an adapter for wired desktops so that I can work on them. I have read the best way to explain this is as a bridge connection as follows: Comcast Wireless modem/router >> Toshiba Laptop through Wireless connection>>Ethernet Cable>>Network card on Desktop. I should add that the laptop has Window 8.1, and the Desktop has Windows 7 sp1. There is no tab for sharing on the laptop wireless connection, so I cannot select "Allow other network users to connect through this internet connection". I figured bridging the connections could work. Bridging them allows me to transfer files, so the desktop recognizes the laptop, but I cannot get a network connection for internet on the desktop. It has given me a screen on the desktop that says there is an IP address conflict and both devices have the same IP address. What can be done to get this connection to work solid? I have tried renewing the IP address, restarting the computer, and selecting automatic assignment of IP adresses in internet options. Wired connection is not possible at this point because of the locations of workbench and modem.

Just manually assign IP addresses under Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings > network adapter properties > TCP/IPv4 settings. Subnet mask will populate automatically and your router will be the default gateway and your DNS server.

If you've got the money it would probably be easier to just get a wireless extender that has LAN ports.

Thank you for your reply. I will get a wireless extender, but the fact that this isn't working for me and it seems like it should bugs me. I have fun with this stuff, so figuring it out would be cool. So I changed IP address first on the desktop, then the laptop connection to no avail. I understand bridging the connections on the laptop doesn't work for this, that would be for connecting two internet connections for higher speed right? Forgive me, I am a beginner when it comes to networking, I am in school to be a programmer. This is how we learn though right? your thoughts of what to try next are appreciated. I might not be clear on which computer and connection to change the IP address on.

The default gateway is manually set on all connections to 10.0.0.1
The laptop wi-fi lan adapter IPv4 address is set manually to 10.0.0.6
The desktop ethernet local area connection ipv4 is manually set to 10.0.0.8
The subnet mask on all connections is manually set to 255.255.255.0
I tried setting the ethernet adater on the laptop to both 10.0.0.8 and 10.0.0.7, when I set it to .8, the same as the desktop, I get a ip address conflict on the desktop.
I know I'm close, just missing something. The only connection that allows me to select sharing is the ethernet connection on the laptop. That could be a problem too, not sure.

OK, got it, thanks for your help. I manually assigned an IP address to the desktop, the laptop, and my wifes computer. By going to network and sharing center>change adapter settings>select connection by left clicking once>right click on connection>properties>scroll down to tcp/ipv4>select>properties>manually assign:
IP addresses: Laptop: 10.0.0.10, desktop 10.0.0.8, wifes mac 10.0.0.20
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 on all computers
Default gateway (router): 10.0.0.1 on all computers
After all computers have a different IP address, and same default gateway and subnet mask, drag box over ethernet and wireless connection on laptop>bridge connection
Everything works great!

Glad to see that everything is working. Just for future reference and for anyone who might be reading this - think of an ip address as a house address. If you give the same address to two different houses, you're going to run into problems.

Back
Top Bottom