Laptop can't pick up wireless signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I have a wrt610n router.

My laptop can pick off the signal and it's wireless n. My iPhone can pick up the wireless-g signal.

All of my other friends (9 others) went into a LAN party with my laptop and it worked fine.

The problem comes with my brothers laptop. I don't know the exact model but it cannot pick up my wireless signal. My brother can pick up other signals though.

What are some other troubleshooting steps for this? Where should I go from here?

First make sure his laptop can pickup other signals - so that we can determine if the issue is your signal or his laptop.

My first thought is maybe his laptop is a B wireless card. I'm not sure about the new N routers, but with the G one I have it has the option of broadcasting both G and B. And there is an option just to broadcast one signal. WIth an N router i'm wondering if it just broadcasts N and G, or does it broadcast all three? Check that first.

The the two easiest things would be to ensure he can use wireless elsewhere and to ensure your router is broadcasting N,G and B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom