Laptop can't find my wireless network, worked fine before

Status
Not open for further replies.

camosilver311

In Runtime
i have comcast cable internet, motorola surfboard sb5120 modem, dlink dir-655 router. i have 2 desktops hardwired to the router, they are both working fine. i have wireless setup for my laptop, which was working fine until the other day. i have not messed with any of the settings. the laptop finds other wireless networks, but will not see mine.

the only thing i can say that has happened, was the other day i woke up and my internet was not working (comcast goes down ALL THE TIME). i unplugged the power to my modem (not the router, did not touch it) and plugged it back in after 30 seconds. it did not help, so i just waited an hour and everything was back up and running. then i tried to jump on my laptop and found that it will not see my wireless network, but sees others.

what should i do?

I had a problem like that the other day, myself. I went to the hospital to see if I could connect to their network so when my fiancee has the baby I can still do my classes. I got back to the house and my network wouldn't connect. My issue was that I had to manually search for my connection and have the laptop reset the IP address before I could connect. Not sure if that's your issue, but I'd try to manually search for your network and reestablish the IP address. I didn't know what happened, because I know nothing about networks, but that's what worked for me.

I had a problem like that the other day, myself. I went to the hospital to see if I could connect to their network so when my fiancee has the baby I can still do my classes. I got back to the house and my network wouldn't connect. My issue was that I had to manually search for my connection and have the laptop reset the IP address before I could connect. Not sure if that's your issue, but I'd try to manually search for your network and reestablish the IP address. I didn't know what happened, because I know nothing about networks, but that's what worked for me.

thanks for the info, but i probably know even less about networking than you, lol... how exactly do i search manually, and reset the ip address?

Hi Camo

Was your wireless secure? If not, your neighbors can connect to your router and make changes to it that would cause this situation.

Theres a few things that would cause this, such as disabling ssid broadcast, or disabling wireless interface.

Prolly the easiest thing to do is factory reset your modem, that will get it working again. Push in reset button on back of the router, hold it for 30 sec, wait a min for the modem to reboot, then try it.

Last but not least, make sure to secure your wirless. Here is the # for D-link support, 1-800-326-1688, they should be able to help you secure it. I work in a related field so I have the # readily available.

Hope this helps. :)

Hi Camo

Was your wireless secure? If not, your neighbors can connect to your router and make changes to it that would cause this situation.

Theres a few things that would cause this, such as disabling ssid broadcast, or disabling wireless interface.

Prolly the easiest thing to do is factory reset your modem, that will get it working again. Push in reset button on back of the router, hold it for 30 sec, wait a min for the modem to reboot, then try it.

Last but not least, make sure to secure your wirless. Here is the # for D-link support, 1-800-326-1688, they should be able to help you secure it. I work in a related field so I have the # readily available.

Hope this helps. :)

when i originally posted this, i got it working by going into the router settings by typing the IP address into firefox and hitting release, then renew. everything was good.

i now have the same problem, and hitting release and then renew does not work. i unplugged my modem for 30 seconds and plugged it back in(mine has no reset button, it's reset by unplugging it) but that does not help either.

i know it has nothing to do with my laptop, because i have another desktop in my house that is also on wireless and it finds every other wireless connection(neighbors) except mine. laptop does the same thing, finds all wireless connections except mine. so it has to be something with my router, but i NEVER mess with the settings. i just woke up one morning and tried to jump on the laptop and it could not find my wireless network. oh, and mine is a secure network, but it just doesn't even find it on the list of connections that are available to connect to.

if all else fails, i'll call customer support, but i really hate talking to those guys.

Hmmmmmmmmm. For the record, rebooting the modem, does nothing for the router.

I'd try a quick power cycle of the router. Unplug it for 10 seconds.. NOT a reset. My old d-link had a reboot button in the config pages.

Howe old is the router? Might be on the frtiz.

Hmmmmmmmmm. For the record, rebooting the modem, does nothing for the router.

I'd try a quick power cycle of the router. Unplug it for 10 seconds.. NOT a reset. My old d-link had a reboot button in the config pages.

Howe old is the router? Might be on the frtiz.

unplugged the router for 10 seconds and plugged back in, now it works great. thanks!

out of curiosity, why does this happen? what happens within the router/settings that get messed up and require a reboot like that?

No idea... It could simple be the routers program gets mixed up... Remember, it is a very basic computer, with an operating system and running programs.

Or it could be the router dieing........

No idea... It could simple be the routers program gets mixed up... Remember, it is a very basic computer, with an operating system and running programs.

Or it could be the router dieing........

router is 3 months old, top of the line d-link model. i dunno, i guess i will have to just reset it every time this happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom