lan not workin>

Status
Not open for further replies.
luke, when you looked at the cable sheathing, or did you check the colors of the wires at the ends of the cable. What you do, is hold the ends up next to eachother, and see if the same colors go to the same pins....

Just wanted to check before you purchase a new cable.

If you aren't getting an IP address, I would suspect a physical issue.

there the exact same, and i asumed that i wasn't getting an ip on my second comp because its on vista. i can get on for the comp on xp, i tryd to ping but it failed.

what happens is this.... when you only have 1 computer with an IP address, they aren't seeing each other. Windows defaults to a random IP in the 169.254.x.x range.... if you have 2 networked together directly, without a DHCP server, windows will (should) auto matically assign them 2 addresses in the same range, 169.254.x.x also.

When you plug the cable in, are you getting green LED's on both of the NIC's? Are both PC's set for obtain address automatically? Don't bother pinging until you can get an IP Address on each PC. If the vista PC isn't getting an address, I can't really help you there, unless it is similar to XP. I don't use Vista and am not familiar with it.

Also you can get a little adapter to turn a normal cat5 into a crossover I picked one up for £1.50 at mapplens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom