Issues with my Linksys WRT310N Router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shananigans

Solid State Member
Hey guys, so I'm having a little trouble with my router. It's a Linksys WRT310N and it always has been a little sketchy. Sometimes the internet will cut out and i'll have to restart it, or the range will go on the fritz, but that's not the main issue. Whenever i play any type of online game, around every minute or so I get a 2-3 second lag spike. It's just frozen for 2 or 3 seconds and there's nothing i can do about it. You could assume that this would get frustrating after a while. I'm almost positive it's an issue with the router because when i connect my computer directly to the modem, i have a stellar connection. So that's why I came to you guys. Is there anything i could do with my router to potentially fix this problem? Or do i just have to buy a new one with my christmas money? Thanks!

I'm not sure, It's my mom's computer that i'm using and there doesn't seem to be any external wireless adapter like one that you would plug into a usb or anything. How do i know what adapter i'm using?

Actually, i just checked it out, it is Ralink. Is that bad?

To be honest, I'd start afresh. Firstly, I'd save a backup of the router settings IF you have any port forwarding, MAC address filtering setup then I'd update the routers firmware, if it hasn't already been done.

You can get the firmware from linksys website, here: Linksys by Cisco - WRT310N Support but you will need to know which version the router is (should say on the sticker, either V1, V2 etc..)

Download the appropriate firmware and upload it to the router - it's solved a hell of a lot of connection issues for me in the past when colleagues routers have started to play up.

Then, I'd hard reset the router, you'll need a paperclip for this one. Just push the paperclip into the tiny reset hole for about 30 seconds and the router will turn off then back on. Remember to backup or make a note of any settings (security, mac address filtering, port forwarding) that you may have on the router before you hard reset.

use cmd and ping your router for a few minutes.
and if you get lag spikes every minute, then try this program.

i used to have that problem described above couple years back when I was still using Vista.
i can't remember how I fixed it since it was so long ago. sorry.

@ Shananigans, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Do you think the problem could be with vista? 'Cause that's what my mom's computer is running and the modem is connected to that.

Do you think the problem could be with vista? 'Cause that's what my mom's computer is running and the modem is connected to that.

I can't see see Vista being the issue. Unless the the network adapter or wireless adapter in your mum's computer is incorrect configured to receive a static IP, or some other weird network settings...

Did you try upgrading the routers firmware?

have you performed any of the suggestions such as updating your router and pinging your router?
if not, I am afraid I can't help you longer, sorry.

have you performed any of the suggestions such as updating your router and pinging your router?
if not, I am afraid I can't help you longer, sorry.

I haven't been able to yet, I'm not going back to her house until this friday. But i did update the firmware trying to solve this problem 2 weeks ago. Haven't gotten the opportunity to install that program you linked, though. I'll let you know how it goes when i do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom