IP address conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

becroydon

In Runtime
i need some help with my hoe network, both computers are on XP Pro, i have a netgear ADSL router, conncting two computers.

sometimes when both computers are on, i get a message saying there is a conflict of IP addresses, does anyone know how to solve this.

PS i'm a real noob with networking

be sure that your LAN connection is obtaining the IP address automatically. this way the router assigns each computer an IP address. you can check this by right clicking on your LAN connection and then clicking properites. click on the networking tab, select TCP/IP and make sure 'obtain ip address automatically' is selected.

i agree with you blacktop89 otherwise u can give manual ip addressing if u want to it would be easier cuz u using only 2 pcs
pc - 1 = 192.168.0.1 pc -2= 192.168.0.2 the most common private ip addressin used around.

You can do this, but you'd have to do a little more than just change the ip addresses of the nodes. You'd also have to input the subnet mask, gateway and the primary/secondary DNS addresses. Not to mention, make sure that the addresses being used would have to be in the same pool of addresses as the ADSL modem. Like Jazzy said, this is the easist way, and you are placing a guarantee on never having an IP conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom