Internet and Network help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gannon

Beta member
Ok, I tried to search for simliar topics but nothng seemed to be exactly the same.

I have two computers, that were connected to the internet by using a D-Link DI604, a Moterola Surfboard cable modem, and patch cables. Everything was running fine untill my I went away for a bit and I got a phonecall from my flatmate saying we couldn't get on the internet on an computer. I told him to swap the cables round so that his comp(comp. B) was directly connected to the modem, and it worked.

I am just back and found that everything seems to be working(both network cards, cables, modem, router), but the only way to connect to the net is through comp. B.

On my comp. A.(my comp.) I cannot connect to the net at all, whether trying directly to the modem or using the router. In the network connections it says that the Local Area Connection is enabled, when all set up, but when I disconnect the cable, either from the modem router or NIC it disables the connection(which I would think means that the NIC, cables, modem and router are all working.)

On comp B the only way to get net access is when it is connected directly to the modem. It wont work through the router either.

We are both using Windows XP. If any more details are needed I will try to give them.
Hope some people will be able to help.
Thanks.

Does your flatmate use any P2P programs? I know Linksys has a problem with too many connections at once. D-Link might as well. Try unplugging the D-Link router, and plugging it back in. With my router and modem at home, when I had this problem, I also unplugged the modem at the same time, just to be sure.

Some modems also have problems with multiple items getting connected to them without being powered off. Maybe this will solve your problems.

Haha thanks hilowe!
I had to unplug both the modem and router a couple of times before things were runnning normally again. I don't think they take kindly to cables being plugged and unplugged to them. I had not unlugged them both before at the same time because I thought the resest button would be fine, but obviously not.
Thanks again!!! All seems to be good at the moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom