internet cafe setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsitras

Solid State Member
hi. i am interested to setup an internet cafe. could someone tell me please some software to control the machines and run under windows xp. the network has an adsl connection and interested to have a server. could someone tell me the structure please?

Umm.. you should be confident in your computer/networking skills before you attempt to run an internet cafe.

could someone tell me please some software to control the machines and run under windows xp.

Sorry, I don't know

the network has an adsl connection and interested to have a server.

I doubt ADSL will be enough to support mid-sized internet cafe. By server do you mean a game server? If so download the server client and run it on a machine w/ lots of memory.

could someone tell me the structure please?

What do you mean by structure? How the network should be set up? Just run your incoming internet signal to all the computers using routers/switches.

Well uhhh, a very useful and free thing you could use to control your computers would be WinVNC.

-Dan The Man

Make sure to use Windows XP Pro, not XP home. Also, like npp said, ADSL isn't gonna have enough bandwidth to run supply an internet cafe of more than about 4 computers. And, you're gonna have to describe what you want out of your internet cafe before we can actually help you:)

i often run 3 computers (if a xbox counts as one) on my network (i got a 512k adsl connection)

Cafe

A lot depends on how many boxes you'll have set up for customers and what you're comfortable running.

I agree with the previous posters - XP Pro is a must.

If you're running the connection straight through a router, you'll want to set up a secure firewall at the router level.

If you're running the network as a domain you have some firewall options built-in from Microsoft, but you'll still want to look into beefing that up with an add-on or another application (like SonicWall).

With XP (or Windows 2000) you can use Active Directory to control the computers that you've set up if you're creating a domain.

Hope that helps!

I some what agree with these guys. If your going to go the xp route then Pro is the way to go, no questions asked. I still see windows 2k as a valid option it even might be better for a cafe because theres less new tech involved with it. Someone once told me theres cutting edge... then theres bleeding edge. Also what do you want your custemers to be able to do? if its just web surfing then stick them behind a proxy for more controll and firewall all out going ports. Leaving them with no actuall access to the outside world. As far as locking down the machine us gpedit.msc along with a strong administrator pass and restrick there access to a little more then guest access. I guess the best thing to do here is to look at it like this. What would the people be doing on your lan? web surfing/word processing and other sh1t like that. Simple enuff, maybe make sure theres a good printer in there and carge $0.0x per page or something like that. Games are simple maybe a big pipe like some sort of T1 or big dsl package, but isnt the reall fun just being on a lan? Mind you I havent been to an internet cafe in a wile. All I can say is dont pirate your software, the more public your software is there more likly the BSA/IRAA/MPAA are likly to come peeking around. Im not saying that they would... just that they could, so keep stuff on the up and up. I think thats all I got, hope this was helpfull.

"Well uhhh, a very useful and free thing you could use to control your computers would be WinVNC."

just wondering, would FreeVNC do the same?

just use realvnc/ulta vnc. Ultra vnc has a built in ftp server/file transpher. How would you use vnc to control you computers? You gunna run this place remotly? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom