Interested in learning how to set up and maintain networks.

Got this from a post on Ubuntu.

Here is his course Req.

Part I: Core network, 2 routers, 2 switches, DNS, DHCP, Firewall (PIX), VPN, intranet

Part II: Blackberry server, voip, email, print service, captive portal, wireless w/ 802.1x, net admin website

Part III: distribute software w/ group policy, automatic updates, linux clients into AD using LDAP

Part IV: LAN traffic analysis, WAN analysis, configure network attached storage, Backup Exec, IDS, IPS, Virus Detection System, ticketing service, and disaster recovery from DRPlan.

This is pretty cool
I once had to set up a multi-user fax system in a call centre so what I did was hook up a bunch of modems to a PC running Windows 2000 (one will do in your case) and have it answer incoming faxes and dump the .tif files into a folder.
Then a Scheduled Task would run with would resize all of the images by using Irfanview on the command line, convert them to JPG and upload them to a "new" folder on the webserver.
From this, I ran a heavily modified PHP image gallery script so the call centre agents would be able to view the new faxes over the intranet.
They could also move faxes to other folders such as "queried" and "completed" when they were done with them.
Sure it was incoming-faxes only but they didn't need to send, only receive.

Streaming audio/video server utilising mulitcast or something like that.

Link to the post
Need Ideas - Cool Network Projects - Page 2

I have a few more questions. First, for just using this as a media server for downloaded movies, music and back ups is this system enough? 1Gig RAM,500 Gig HD, pentium4 3.6 ghz. I want to remove the extra dvd drive and put a second HD (1TB).

My second question is can I do this wirelessly? Is it imperative that I have a wired ethernet connection? I need to buy a new network adapter anyway and I wanted to go wireless.

Lastly, I have Ubuntu Server on a bootable disc and I know the disc works but when the comp attemts to boot from the disc the system freezes. I have restarted several times and it does the same thing. I check the BIOS and it is set to boot from cd first. I checked all the hardware and I don't believe that is the issue. The OS it is currently running is ubuntu 12.04 (lts). Maybe the OS is not mounting the drive? I think that may be the issue because while logged onto the current OS I cannot locate my DVD drive.

I might have to ask these questions in a new thread. I think since my name is the last comment nobody knows I have asked a new question.

I have a few more questions. First, for just using this as a media server for downloaded movies, music and back ups is this system enough? 1Gig RAM,500 Gig HD, pentium4 3.6 ghz. I want to remove the extra dvd drive and put a second HD (1TB).
More RAM would be a good idea. At least 4GB, IMO.

My second question is can I do this wirelessly? Is it imperative that I have a wired ethernet connection? I need to buy a new network adapter anyway and I wanted to go wireless.
I would avoid doing wirelessly for the server. Less stable connection, and more latency between requests to/from the server.

Lastly, I have Ubuntu Server on a bootable disc and I know the disc works but when the comp attemts to boot from the disc the system freezes. I have restarted several times and it does the same thing. I check the BIOS and it is set to boot from cd first. I checked all the hardware and I don't believe that is the issue. The OS it is currently running is ubuntu 12.04 (lts). Maybe the OS is not mounting the drive? I think that may be the issue because while logged onto the current OS I cannot locate my DVD drive.
If it can't boot from the disc for some reason, it wouldn't be the OS that's installed. It would either be hardware related, or something wrong with the disc that was burned.

More RAM would be a good idea. At least 4GB, IMO.

I would avoid doing wirelessly for the server. Less stable connection, and more latency between requests to/from the server.

If it can't boot from the disc for some reason, it wouldn't be the OS that's installed. It would either be hardware related, or something wrong with the disc that was burned.

1. Damn that sucks because I think that is max RAM I can use.
2. I guess I will just go wired if the reliability is that hit or miss.
3. Well I used the same disc on 2 other PCs to confirm if the disc was bad and it is not the disc for sure. The drive worked fine before when it had windows and I even took it out and cleaned the contacts and checked the cables and it seems to be good. Is it possible the drive did not auto mount during install?

It you are using it as storage server and saving information to that PC and not watching movies on it, 1GB is fine.

I have Firefox open and the basic Kubuntu installed on this laptop. I run at 635MB of RAM. I am sure I can do some tweaking to minimize it.

It you are using it as storage server and saving information to that PC and not watching movies on it, 1GB is fine.

I have Firefox open and the basic Kubuntu installed on this laptop. I run at 635MB of RAM. I am sure I can do some tweaking to minimize it.

As long as you don't want to start virtualizing stuff, or expanding your server to do other stuff.

It makes him a storage server for the moment.

You can always salvage used parts online and eventually build a stronger server. Then he can use that one for a nice firewall or a pen testing box.

Back
Top Bottom