I'd appreciate some advice on a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I need a router so that I can connect 2 PCs to the internet through my modem. Both should be able to use the internet at the same time. In addition to that an IP phone needs to be connected ot the router as well. And the router should also work for wireless interent (laptop), so in total it would be used by three computers (but probably most of the time only by 2 at the same time) and one IP phone.

What kind of router would you suggest?

Thanks,
Lars

unrelated to the OP, but dang that router has 33 awards lol. i thought the corsair dominators had alot (8)...

it must be a good router then :p

Before I make my suggestion I'll let you know that I have 2 computers connected to the internet and an Xbox: Desktop-Wired Connection Laptop-Wireless Connection Xbox-Wireless Connection

I had a similar router to the one that b1gapl linked, but then it started to die out on me, so I looked into getting a new router and decided on the WRT160, at first it was running smoothly, but then it started getting worse. To make a long story short I had to call linksys 15 times before I finally decided to return the router. Everyone I talk to says its odd for linksys to give someone poor customer service but I got it.

So then I was on the search again for a new router and ended up buying WNDR3300 I am having been loving it ever since I got it.

So if I were you go with the WNDR3300

Thank you very much everybody for you help and suggestions.

I have one mroe question: What do I need to look out for to in order to make sure the router will be compatible with the IP phone?

I don't know much about IP phones but I am guessing that the router probably has to have some kind of special connection/port. I would try browsing the internet for a list of routers that are IP Phone compatible. Alos, you could try calling a Best Buy and asking what they know, or try talking to companies themselves.

I don't know much about IP phones but I am guessing that the router probably has to have some kind of special connection/port. I would try browsing the internet for a list of routers that are IP Phone compatible. Alos, you could try calling a Best Buy and asking what they know, or try talking to companies themselves.

Thanks. :)

The IP phones use RJ45 cables like any other device on the network, depending on what you are trying to do / how many users you are attempting to serve it gets complex from there out.

The IP phones use RJ45 cables like any other device on the network, depending on what you are trying to do / how many users you are attempting to serve it gets complex from there out.

Thank you !

Yes, I also noticed that on my old router that the IP phone has the same kind of connection as do the PCs.
So, if the connectors are the same, there could not be any other compatibility issues or could there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom