ICS Problems Driving Me Crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiro

In Runtime
Sorry, lots of text:

OK, guys, I'm at the end of my thread here.

I've removed all traces of SBC Yahoo software, and can access my DSL Internect Connection by just plugging the modem's straight-through cable straight into my PC. It's an automatic connection with no dialogue boxes or prompts of any kind. I didn't have to set anything up. It's just connected. It shows up in my Network Connections as "Internet Connection" which is what I named it.

All that works fine....

The problem is that when I try to activate ICS on that internet connection or on my LAN connection (second ethernet port) and there's another computer connected the second ethernet port, it just goes nuts. It's fine if the second computer isn't connected, but what good is that? The whole point is to have two computers online at once.

My gateway comp loses Web access when I try ICS, but stays connected (sometimes). This means, I can't go to websites, but MSN Messenger stays logged in and working. I get LAN connection perfectly fine during this, now. Client computer has no Internet Connection whatsoever. If I deactivate ICS on either ethernet port (depending on which one I've tried, "Internet Connection" or "LAN"), I get Web access back, but of course, no Internet for my client comp. Just LAN.

I've gone through Network Setup Wizards and followed Law's all-purpose ICS thread instructions, to no avail. I've done this so many times before, but never had a problem until this time.

When I try to enable ICS and a client computer is already wired up, It tells me I need to make sure no other computer on my network has the IP address of 192.168.0.1 ... I've made sure, and my other computer does not. I've even manually set the client computer to 192.168.0.2 with Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 and Gateway IP to 192.168.0.1, leaving the gateway comp on "obtain blah blah automatically". Same problem there.

In fact, any time I change any kind of network connection setting on my gateway PC, I lose Website access, but my Internect Connection itself remains fine. Trying to manually set the IP and Subnet Mask stuff like in Law's tutorial loses ALL internet connection completely.

The second I pull the crossover cable from the client PC, Web access is restored, even if I still have ICS 'activated'. I have tried other computers, and I get the same problem every time.

All comps involved are running up-to-date Windows XP Home versions. I cannot afford a router any time soon (running on fumes cash-wise). I just want to get ICS to work for two computers, even if it's crappy or 'not the best way'.

Also, I've tried setting up my connection manually according to this site: http://public.pacbell.net/dsl/winxp/index.html but it would never connect (error 638 or something). I deleted that connection because it kept 'dialing' and never connecting, even when I disabled my actual "Internet Connection" connection in Network Connecions. yeesh

SBC is no help. I have no idea where to go from here. Everything I've tried has almost worked, but failed every time. I can't see any reason why it wont let ICS work...

Do you have any firewall/anti-virus/security applications running or installed? You are suppose to just activate ICS on the connection that is connected to the router or the modem, not the second NIC that is connected to the client(s).

Make sure there isn't any network bridged setup. They should not be bridged.

Download Dr.TCP and check the MaxMTU, it should be 1492 for PPPoE or less for DSL because 8 bytes are used for the DSL headers. http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

Give me a screen shot of Dr.TCP if you could.

No, I don't have any firewall/anti-virus/security apps running or installed. I've disabled any Windows Firewalls and all my Avast! AntiVirus security.

I was originally trying to activate ICS on the first ethernet port (my onboard port) which is the one connected to the modem. Since that wasn't working, I tried the one I used for my LAN just to see if it would work. I've been trying the modem connected ethernet port since then.

I know there isn't any network bridge. I don't think I have any use for a network bridge anyway, so I haven't messed with that.

I'll try the Dr.TCP MaxMTU thing later when I'm at home, IF my DSL connection will even work for the one computer (it's been getting unstable today).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom