I have made a minor mistake. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan_iller2uk

Beta member
Hi all,

I have a slight problem i need to resolve. I was asked to change 4 pcs from a domain to a workgroup as the server was being removed from their premises. Each pc was to be the setup using the ICS for broadband. The administrator logon had a password on it. I went into the system config and changed the pc to a workgroup and xp asked to be shutdown. When it rebooted, i was able configure the pc using the admin logon and no password. This process worked for 3 of the machines. I followed the exact same process for the 4th. When it asked me to reboot i could not get passed the password login prompt. The old and blank passwords would not work.

How do i get passed the problem? I have thought about detaching the hard drive and making it a slave so that i can backup all the information before reinstalling windows xp pro. Is there an easier way to fix it? The guest function does not work?

Any info would be welcome.

Alan Miller..... First time networker.

Well, a really expensive way would be to buy and download Winternals. You could retrieve the admin password this way. Are their any other local accounts that you know of that you can log in as? You can also do exactly what you were saying.

-Mike

Right, that's probably what I would do.....that's what was mentioned above with the "What you were saying" phrase.

-Mike

if u dont wont to loose anything from ur hardrives put them in other computer and take the info of and then when u re-installed windows put the info back on you hardrive easy as taken candy from a baby which in actuall fact is hard but any way its easy

Yes it works on XP, but if you have your files encrypted, you will be able to access them without the original (forgotten) password.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom