Hub or Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoneFire

In Runtime
Currently, i am using broadband connection connected to my PC with an ADSL modem.
However, i have 2 PC and cant connected to the Internet on the same time as the modem only have a port for the cable.
Hence, a hub or router is needed to do this.
So, is it better to use hub or router? :D

router is more intelligent than the hub in terms of controlling the network traffic.
but than what is the difference between router, hub and switch?
:eek:

Wireless router would be my suggestion. They're not too expensive and much easier to set up in a house where the computers aren't right together.

HUBs are basicly mindless, or stupid. They do nothing but basically allow all ports access to the net. I believe, or similar to that.

Switches are smart, they learn what you need to do, they only allow the ports needed, and help direct them to where they need to go.

Routers are the best of both worlds.

My suggestion would be a Router.

A big thing to consider, is that HUBS "DO NOT" allow for internal communication. meaning that while both computers can access the internet, they cannot access each other over the network.

A switch is inteligent and sends data only to the computer that requests it.

A router is a switch with capabilities to connect to another network. In a home situation you may have a router with a built in modem. This is just a switch but allows you to also connect to the internet, alternatively it may have an uplink port which allows you to plug it into another network

A hub is uninteligent and sends data to all computers/devices plugged into it and so is far more insecure than a switch and is also slower, so there is no reason to buy one. Basically switches came out to replace them

The post above should read "Router, then if you need more ports then switch." as you can just plug a switch into a router and it will increase the number of ports without you haveing to do anything else

What you need to get is a ETHERNET BROADBAND ROUTER with built in Firewall, DMZ, IP FILTERS, MAC FILTERS, URL blocking, Port Forwarding, NAT, Domain Blocking, you can buy one in the states for a good one for 49.99-99.99 depending on needs of course.

slackware05 said:
What you need to get is a ETHERNET BROADBAND ROUTER with built in Firewall, DMZ, IP FILTERS, MAC FILTERS, URL blocking, Port Forwarding, NAT, Domain Blocking, you can buy one in the states for a good one for 49.99-99.99 depending on needs of course.

What is the function of DMZ, MAC filters?
is there any special with such features?
thank you too :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom