How to setup a secured FTP for home computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3n3r4d3

Baseband Member
Hi all, sorry if i posted this in the wrong section. i want to set up a FTP on my computer so my friends can access the stuff i want to to access. I jsut want a simple way to do this with a simple program. As long as it is secured only to my friends, and not anybody else. anybody got a good tutorial and a good program for FTP using?

thanks very much for helpping.

f you're using Windows XP and IIS 5.1 (I'm assuming you are), if you don't see a "Web Sites" folder, you don't have the FTP service installed.

To install the FTP service:

Go to Control Panel, then "Add/Remove Programs"
Next Choose "Add/Remove Windows Components"
Next choose "Internet Information Services (IIS)"
Click the "Details..." button.
Choose "File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Service"
Click OK a bunch of times. You may be prompted for your Windows XP CD.

That's it. Now when you go back to the Internet Services Manager console, you should see a folder that says "FTP Sites". Right-click and choose New, then FTP Site...

Setting up an FTP site will enable others to get files from you via FTP, or to upload files to your FTP site.

Your ability to use the FTP protocol to get files from other people is not dependent on installing the FTP service in IIS.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: To secure the FTP and enable SSL, Enabling SSL in IIS on Windows XP Professional

can somone give me a full tutorial from top to bottom how to set one up for my own computer? please?

I would like one too. I get headaches everytime that I try it. for example, where is the Internet Services Manager console?

Check out the link that Tunix provided. It looks like a pretty good tutorial. After you attempt that post if you are still having problems. If IIS running FTP is similar to running it in Windows Server 2003 - then you will have to create multiple accounts for your friends to log in, and then set permissions for the users or group.

If you think that tutorial is to much then you may want to use another program to run your ftp. You can look at filezilla - which if I remember was very simple to get setup.

FileZilla - Server Download

Let us know which you are using and what problems you are having.

where is the Internet Services Manager console?

I want to start there to see where I end up this time.

You will need to open the start menu - then right click and go to properties - then customize - click the advanced tab - scroll down to the bottom and you will see administrative tools - click the display on start menu and programs - hit ok - then apply and ok - then open your start menu and you should see the administrative tools - go there and see if you find the snap in. Let me know if you dont.

I see the IIS box. there's an ftp folder in here but I can't set it up like tunix said.

Image1-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom