How do you remotely connect to a computer that's not on your home network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricB

Chillin Techie
How do you remotely connect to a computer that's not on your home network?

I want to help people (mainly friends and family who I won't charge to fix it) who have minor problems on their computer, so that they won't have to bring it over to me.

I haven't had time to figure out Vnc as it look hard to configure. everybody says that you can do it with just the windows remote desktop. I want to learn to do it that way if possible.

this lady that I fixed her computer before, is suppose to give give me some 3rd party software to do it that she had bought from the guy who use to work on her computers (she like my work better). but I don't want to go around installing that on everybody's computer just to access them

VNC is as simple as installing it, running the server as a service which will be automatic anyways if you select it, having the other user use VNC, getting the other users IP address and connecting, and thats it. Remote Assistance I use at work with outlook and home with msn messenger. But radmin is the best snce it can keep clients and all you need to do is click and your on

Warez Monster said:
VNC is as simple as installing it, running the server as a service which will be automatic anyways if you select it, having the other user use VNC, getting the other users IP address and connecting, and thats it. Remote Assistance I use at work with outlook and home with msn messenger. But radmin is the best snce it can keep clients and all you need to do is click and your on

I'll try radmin out. how do you use outlook and msn messenger to work with remote assistance?

go to your desktop, hit F1...help and support should come up...go over to ask for assistance, under that is invite a friend, decide how to send the invitation either by outlook or messenger, then send the invite...thats all..you can ever password protect the invite so the other user has to put in the password

Radmin is a great application, I use it all the time in my network and it's easy to use and setup. Using it over the internet, all that needs to be configure is the other person firewall and if behind a router then set up port forwarding. Pretty much straight forward stuff. Remote assistance is an alternative if you don't want to pay for commercial product and it works fairly well but does not provide good security and many features like Radmin and other commercial product.

I'm trying radmin now. the remote assistance has basic settings. I couldn't really access that comp. I only seen desktop settings

I want access like the remote desktop connection gives you. that actually the program that i want to use as remote assistance seems different. but it will help me with basic configuration, so thanks for that info

I'll let you guys know how radmin go. is the download, a trial or full version?

I'm back to my original problem. how do I connect to another computer that not in my house?

i'm on roadrunner. let's say my friend has comcast and his ip is 66.79.39.41 (is this the right ip to enter?) which is a made up number. how would I connect to his computer or better yet how can help him find his ip on his computer to send to me so I can connect?

Eric, when you get on today, we are both going to connect to each others machihne using Remote Assistance and VNC, I'm sure we will both be on smetime today...pm me when you are ready or post here..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom