How can I add wireless to a network capable printer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruX

Beta member
I have a network setup with WPA. However, I have a printer that has network capabilities (10/100). I want this printer to be wireless, but a wireless print server uses USB instead of ethernet if attached directly to the printer.

Would a wireless game adapter work just as well? Of course it would need to have WPA too... Any other ideas?

If you attach a game adapter to a network printer (which has network capabilities via 10/100), it should work.. all the wireless game server is doing is providing an imaginary cable between the router that the printer is being shared through, and the printer.

This should work in theory, I believe.. Anyone try this?

yes, as mentioned, this is possible.

you can either buy the wireless game adapter, or you can actually just buy the wireless print server. this is $99 i think.

I just installed one last week for a user here at work. It hooks up with USB or RJ45. You can also buy them for just RJ-45, or even Parallel.

The game adapter may be the easiest to use if you are connecting via the ethernet port. if you want to use USB, the printserver may be the easiest. Linksys makes all of these and they are avaible at your local Best Buy or Staples.

NOTE: I have also installed them using the wireless game adapter, the 1-port wireless bridge, and also with the 4-port wireless bridge.

they all work based on the same concept and it's just up to you which one will be best/easiest for you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom