Home Wireless Network w/ Vista/XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardmp92

Daemon Poster
Hello,

I just got a new Vista laptop, trying to make a "workgroup" home wireless network. I have one computer already set up (destop w/ XP Pro), but having trouble navigating on the new laptop w/ Vista to set this one up. Any quick hints?

Thanks.

Go to your control pannel on the Vista machine and click Network and Internet. Then click the Network and sharing center. From here you can connect to your wireless network and setup your permissions. You would need to ensure network discovery is on and your network to private.

You can also double click the little computer screen icon at the bottom right corner.

Confused...did all that, but I dont see the "workgroup" for my network that I set up on my XP desktop.

Gave me a setup error...said "Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying. There is no need to install this update". BUT, I still dont see my XP desktop on Vista Laptop.

Oh, I have XP SP3 on my XP desktop.

Have you made sure the Workgroup name is the same on both the XP and Vista machines?

On XP the default is MSHOME, while the default on Vista is WORKGROUP. Since you have SP3, you should already have the LLTP update on there as well. If you change the workgroup name on both machines to the same thing, "Home1" for example, give everything a restart and hopefully everything should be ok.

Leonard,

The very first thing the article talks about is the workgroup. Did you check that stuff out at all before trying to install any updates?

Follow the guide exactly. Dont take shortcuts and dont try to force it.

Cheers,
Mak

Thanks guys. I made sure I changed the workgroup on both computers to "HOME". Cant understand why it still doesnt see it. I followed the article to the T. Some of the window popups look a little different, for example, my machine doesnt give me a confirmation email that the workgroup name was changed, but I know I changed both of them to the same name. I notice from the "network map" that both computers are "Vista"...does this hotfix trick XP into thinking it's a Vista machine?

Geez, I still cant get this to work, I have tried almost every options/setup protocol on both the laptop and desktop. Tried using the USB drive to install, network setup CD, etc. Any more ideas? Just want to do file and printer sharing b/w all 3 computers.

This is what I have:

Laptop 1: Vista Home Premium

Laptop 2: XP Pro, SP3

Desktop: XP Pro, SP3

Thanks.

Have a wireless router.

Also, getting an error code 0x80070035, nothing solid on Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom