Home networking troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolution556

Solid State Member
I'm new to setting up a home network and need some help. I am trying to connect this vista machine with an xp machine downstairs to use the printer connected to the xp machine. My vista machine recognizes the xp machine on the network, but can't access the computer. I get a DNS error when trying to access the machine. Also on the XP machine I cannot access my workgroup to see other machines on the network. Any help is appreciated and I'm getting increasingly frustrated.

I'm new to setting up a home network and need some help. I am trying to connect this vista machine with an xp machine downstairs to use the printer connected to the xp machine. My vista machine recognizes the xp machine on the network, but can't access the computer. I get a DNS error when trying to access the machine. Also on the XP machine I cannot access my workgroup to see other machines on the network. Any help is appreciated and I'm getting increasingly frustrated.

Most likely they are not on the same workgroup. Can you also ping the remote machine? Test your network connection by doing a ping to the IP address of the remote machine. To get the IP address and host name of a local machine, open up command prompt and do ipconfig /all.

there some setting you have to set in vista. Let me go check on my vista side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom