Home Network Setup Question

From the sounds of the setup here, you have a Levintion Telcom panel. I install these every other day. I am a telcom contractor.

The way you describe the wiring, you are wired as a phone system only, and just because the wired with cat 5/6, the phone only uses 2 wires.

It also sounds like you do not have the ablity to run another cat 5/6, correct?

Depending on what sixe the panal box is, you can put a data switch inside and it will be out of the way.

Can you post a picture of the panel box?

As for the wall jacks, I bet you will find that 4 to 6 contact plugs where installed and those are only used for the phone also. Either use's 8 contact plugs.

If you do things right, there is a way to use a standand cat 5/6 cable to allow both phone and either, but you have to be very careful on the configureation.

I was wrong at first, I took the panel apart and the cat5e cables are connected using all 8 wires but it's a tiny green pcb and then a phone cord is connected with 2 cables and then to nothing now, it used to be connected to a cable modem which what was used for cable internet and phone I'm assuming. But the wall jacks are all setup for Type A cat5 and all 8 wires are connected properly there, I can buy a switch or just put rj45's then plug them into my wire i get that part, but I just kind of need to figure out how to split my moms office into 2 ethernet ports with the easist method. I could run another cable but would cost me to buy an extra long ethernet cable and would be a pain getting in the attic and wiring it down the wall. I had a pic a while back posting this question let me see if i can find it.

It looks alot like this. http://image.become.com/imageserver...unchdown-telecom-module-with-line-seizure.jpg

The PCB has 6 ethernet cables properly wired with a configuration to it then has 1 phone line with 2 calbes that lead to no where now. Like I said thats not the issue though.

Last edited:
Didn't answer my question. How is she setup now?

Also, it isn't hard to run cable down a wall, and even easier since there is already a cable in the destination desired. If you or your dad has a wall fish (you can get a small pack for like 15 bucks at Lowes) just follow the single wire to where your moms current ethernet is and fish the cable straight down following the current one. Easy as hell.

Reason I asked how her current setup is, you probably wont need a second cable if she is running off only one now.

Didn't answer my question. How is she setup now?

Also, it isn't hard to run cable down a wall, and even easier since there is already a cable in the destination desired. If you or your dad has a wall fish (you can get a small pack for like 15 bucks at Lowes) just follow the single wire to where your moms current ethernet is and fish the cable straight down following the current one. Easy as hell.

Reason I asked how her current setup is, you probably wont need a second cable if she is running off only one now.

Sorry didn't see it. Right now it is not setup at all. She just uses a laptop with Wi-Fi. Saturday she is going back to WI where she used to work and work is training her for this work at home thing and giving her a PC/Phone setup or something. I guess she needs 2 ports open on the router to herself so 2 cables will be needed in that room and or ports. The main problem with all of this is my dad has to approve it and buy the stuff so getting him to agree on things can be difficult. It's an interior wall so it should be very very simple to wire another ethernet cable down just, I dont have a punchdown tool to wire a new jack or I guess I wouldn't need to do that. But getting her to agree on anything is even harder because the company fired like 150 people or layed off and shes worried about doing everything perfect and she just wants to have the isp come and drill a hole in the wall and install the modem there which is so dumb to do seeing as we could get wired internet to every room just by doing a little extra. I have to talk to my dad and talk with him about all the ideas you guys have helped with and some he is thinking about. They leave saturday though so will need to buy everything quickly and set it up because when they get home the next friday she will start working soon after. I really want to get off this wifi too >.< Plus they bought a gigabit ethernet router which will be nice compared to our old one if I ever setup a server/homegroup etc.

PS Sorry to anyone who is botherd by the multiple account thing or if I'm breaking any rules. Trying to stop -.- very indecisive person but just decided to stick with my old account and hopefully will never change it. sorry again

Sounds like one is her ethernet and the other is VoIP honestly. I bet she could do with just one honestly, but without knowing what the other connection is actually for it's hard to tell.

There is absolutely no need to punch another hole in your wall. They have 4 port wall plates and dual port wall plates. All you need is a dual port then route the new cable. You can use a heavy drill bit too. While working DirecTV before I bought a wall fish I used my mortar bit and taped it to the end of the cable then pushed it down. Since the first cable is already there it will be really simple because you know where to drop the cable. Have one person down at the wall in the room to grab it and pull it through. Then you can have the gigabit router and all the cables going to one central location so your network isn't a mess.

Sounds like one is her ethernet and the other is VoIP honestly. I bet she could do with just one honestly, but without knowing what the other connection is actually for it's hard to tell.

There is absolutely no need to punch another hole in your wall. They have 4 port wall plates and dual port wall plates. All you need is a dual port then route the new cable. You can use a heavy drill bit too. While working DirecTV before I bought a wall fish I used my mortar bit and taped it to the end of the cable then pushed it down. Since the first cable is already there it will be really simple because you know where to drop the cable. Have one person down at the wall in the room to grab it and pull it through. Then you can have the gigabit router and all the cables going to one central location so your network isn't a mess.

Yeah this sounds like the best option of any and will try to convince my mom of all people. The funny this is I had to do nearly the same thing you did to get my old ethernet cable down the wall into the basement from upstairs. I used a huge drill bit and tied a long string to it also and just let it fall down basically lol.

As always, thank you for your help, you've helped me with a lot of problems and it's much appreciated.

No problem, and since you already did that then you have experience in what I'm talking about. It's really not that complicated.

Yeah the only problem is the attic, nor me or my dad have taken a look inside it yet lol. My old house it was just from my room to the basement with a straight shot down. Don't know what the attic is going to look like in these AZ houses :p Hopefully when we decide to do this it will be a cool night O.O

Back
Top Bottom