Home Network / Server Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsKRUDD

Beta member
Hey guys, First time posting on the site -- just found it on google when i was looking for some help. Seems like a cool forum, Ive read a few posts and people here seem quite helpful .. Hoping you guys could help me :)

Im not the smartest person when it comes to computers, although I do like to read so i tend to teach myself alot, right now im kind of confused. I know what I want to do, but im not sure how to do it -- if I can buy it or build it so here it goes.

I want to create a 1 tb storage for my apartment, I have 1 desktop and 3 laptops and we all share music, movies, pictures, ect. I work in a office, and when you access "my computer" you have the C: drive, U: drive, F: drive ect ... Obviously only the C drive is installed onto the computer the others are accessed. So i purchased myself a Network Hard Drive, however Im not quite sure this is what I want. It pops up under "network locations" on my Windows 7 machine, and when i access it on the other laptop it shows up as ActiveFolders (\\192.168.1.110)(Z:) , Now that is visually unappealing and I would like to get away from it. My hard drive is small, but split into two partions so i know what it looks like up there -- Local Disk (D:) nd this is basically what i would like my 1tb storage for my apartment to look like.

So all in all, how do i achieve this? Do i need to build a whole server for it (tower, mb, and all the other stuff)or is there something I can buy that can hook into my router and achieve this effect.

I hope that this makes sense, and i appreciate your help guys!

Hey man, it's a iomega hOme media network hard drive. 1 tb storage space. Hope that helps

Ok, looks like you haven't setup the shares right. Active Folders is a special folder that you can configure automatic rules on. E.g. torrent files get automatically started, music gets automatically put through a certain program, etc.

Did you do the steps listed here?
http://www.iomega.com/support/manuals/hmnd/211-1009/en/main.html

Click on 'Configuring the Home Media Drive' in the list on the left, then scroll down and click the 'Folders' link. That'll show you how to setup shared folders (like the partitions you used to have)

I used the installation disk that it came with, it has the active folders but im not quite sure this is exaclty what i want. Ill post a screen shot below. I would like it to show up as a normal local drive in the my computer section. I thought maybe i could just install a internal HD into my computer and share it but then realized when the desktop shut down that it would most likely not be available? here is a screen shot of what i have now, and I would like to have it just be an additional "local drive" and not the network devices, if that makes sense. I thought I could maybe buy and or build a small server and map the computers in and on my network to it, and that this may acomplish what Im trying to do

example.jpg

Hey soul i appreciate the help. I actually think that what I bought is in fact what I wanted. Just a quick question. Maybe I overlooked this but is there a way to name this device so it's more visually appealing than all those back slashes ect?? I'm going to stick with this product I do believe unless there is a way to do what I stated above. Thanks for the help!

Yes there is. Just right click on them and hit 'rename'.

The document I linked you to has all the info you need on creating and naming shares, I'd suggest you try creating a 'test' share. Just call it test and allow everyone access, etc. Then you should be able to add it simply by right clicking in My Computer and selecting 'add network device' and browse to it. Feel free to remove the shares already setup there too, just customise it how you want. E.g. if you wanted a setup like you had before, you could create two shares with each having 450Gb space,

Thanks m8 you've been a huge help. I have a few computer things im trying to work out so Ill be posting more in your forums lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom