Home network with a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teufel

Baseband Member
I have a pc with windows XP who is already connect to a USR wireless router via Ethernet cable to access internet.i did this because i new a second pc,also running windows XP,was on its way in.
the second pc have a wireless card installed so it will use the router to access the internet.i jave no prob to do that.
my question is how do i link both pc to have a home network via the router?
i am a noob when it comes to network so please someone explain me how to do this.i have search the forum for answer but did not find anything that help me.

Thanks

If you want to share files between the PC's, you will have to enable file sharing....

Right click on the folder you want to share, and select 'Sharing' from the menu.

it can be that easy right?
i only enable file sharing and both pc will be able to access each other?what about sharinc complete hard dirve?

Yes, it is that easy. If the computers are on the same network, and both able to surf the net, everything is in place but the file sharing. if you want to share the WHOLE hard drive, you right click on it in Explorer, and select the sharing option on the dropdown menu.

You can share any folder or a drive. To access the shared file on the other PC, go to My Network Places (Win2k, XP, or Vista) or Network Neighborhood (Win95, Win98/SE/ME) and click on the computer you want to access files on. Shared items (drives and folders) will appear in the window, and you can access files from there. Make sure both computers have the same Workgroup name, or else they won't connect to each other. To change Workgroup name, go to Control Panel, then System, then there should be a tab to change the computer's name and workgroup. Alternatively, run the Network Setup Wizard on Windows XP machines, which will guide you through the setup.

ok im bringing this up again.

i have installed all hardware on both pc.
i have installed the wireless card on the PC#2
it can connect to the network with the wireless pc,the icon confirm that i am connected to the network.
i can see the wireless pc when i log on my router but when i look on the PC#1 i dont see the PC#2 and vice versa.i have enable sharing of the HD on both pc i can see the hand under the icon that confirm it.
i also cannot access the internet from the wireless pc.
what am i doing wrong?

EDIT:
Ok i manage to get internet acess on both PC.
but when i look at the PC that are on the worckgroup,i can see pc#1 from the PC#2(the wireless one) but i cant access it says i might not have that privilege.
and when i check on PC#1,i dont see the wireless PC on the worckgroup...WTF?

*run network setup wizard again on both pc's
*double check the spelling of the work group, make sure it's the same on all pc's
*check if you can access files both way
*if you get an error that reads like "not enough server storage", turn off system restore

*all else fails, try his advice:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 52
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom